Football: Edinburgh United's final feast

EDINBURGH UNITED and Blue Brazil served up a goal feast but the Capital side survived a late scare to take home the Under-19 Scottish Youth FA Challenge Cup.

Their opponents from Cowdenbeath had brought with them a fevered crowd to Airdrie's Excelsior Stadium, but United quickly silenced them, going 3-0 up at half-time. A spirited fight-back saw the Fife side regain some hope but United managed to hold on to lift the cup amidst a flurry of goals.

United generated most of the attacks after a laboured opening and a chance went begging when Jason Watson

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

failed to capitalise on a goalmouth scramble, whilst a slide-rule pass put Kris Mitchell through on goal, but he couldn't get the better of the Blue Brazil keeper.

After 12 minutes, however, United finally saw their pressure pay off, with Josh Morris striking a well-placed free-kick past Robbie Laing's right-hand side.

Blue Brazil found it difficult to break down a resolute defence, with offside decisions not going in their favour, and their frustration was only compounded when Kris Mitchell's smart finish from the periphery of the box made it 2-0 five minutes before half-time.

It didn't take long for the Edinburgh side to add to their advantage either, with man-of-the-match striker Josh Morris showing cat-like instincts and pouncing on a spilled save in first-half injury time.

The second half began with a lull as cramp and injuries took their toll, but Blue Brazil began to forge their way back into the game with a couple of half-chances, and pressure finally paid off when Lee Reid dispatched from the spot after a debatable penalty decision.

United, however, replied soon after through Joseph McVey's lashed effort on 74 minutes and after Mitchell's counter-attack finish five minutes later, a healthy four-goal lead was created. But Blue Brazil weren't done yet, with Calum Spence heading in past the helpless Neil McArthur and Andrew Gould finishing with aplomb after racing through on goal from a neat flick-on – both goals notched in a two-minute spell.

Just a few minutes later, however, and their work was undone, with an eager Robbie Duncan netting after his initial penalty kick was saved. But the goal excitement wasn't over yet, with substitute Andrew Chingwalu looping in a clever header during second-half injury-time.

It was scant consolation for a determined effort after the break but United were worthy 6-4 winners on a day of frantic goal action. Edinburgh United head coach Barry Campbell said: "

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Despite being in front the whole time the game was never won – we knew they would never give up. We had to cope with a few injuries during the game, and had to be cautious with a couple of bookings, so it was difficult.I was delighted when the final whistle went."

Blue Brazil Boys' Club manager Lenny Munro bemoaned the age difference between the two teams but added:

"I think they were worthy winners.

"They defended well, but our boys were maybe a bit naive – age was maybe the main difference between the two teams. The first ten or 15 minutes of the second half we got in about them, but their goal was a bit of a sucker punch and it maybe killed us off."

Edinburgh Utd FC: Neil McArthur, Stuart Simpson, Neil Smeaton, Johnny Coleman, Jordan Smith, Jason Watson, Mark Weatherburn, Sam Campbell, Josh Morris, Joseph McVey, Kris Mitchell, Michael Collin, Lloyd Hall, Robbie Duncan, Scott Weddell, Denham Lyall, Martin Smith, Steven Griffin, Jason Hunter, Liam Wilson, Steven McHoul, Andrew Husband.

Blue Brazil Boys' Club: Robbie Laing, Lewis Wishart, Raymond Law, David Byrne, Calum Spence, Dean Richardson, Barry Paterson, Ross Devlin, Andrew Chingwalu, Lee Reid, Rory McCann, Calum Pringle, Grant Buckley, Ross Rennie, Andrew Gould, Blair Grubb, Andrew Warrender.