Famous Five reunited in Hall of Fame

THE most celebrated quintet in Scottish football history were reunited last night when Bobby Johnstone led the latest list of inductees to the SFA Hall of Fame at Hampden.

The Selkirk-born inside forward, who died in 2001, becomes the final member of Hibernian's Famous Five forward line to take his place in the pantheon following the inductions of Lawrie Reilly, Gordon Smith, Eddie Turnbull and Willie Ormond in previous years.

Johnstone, whose outstanding career also saw distinguished service with Manchester City, Oldham Athletic and Scotland, scored 105 goals in 199 appearances for Hibs, helping the Easter Road club become Scottish champions in 1951 and 1952 during the halcyon period of their history.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He is one of six new entrants to the Hall of Fame, joined by former Celtic captain Paul McStay, Motherwell manager Craig Brown, former Rangers goalkeeper Andy Goram, ex-Dundee United defender David Narey and Tom 'Tiny' Wharton, the iconic refereeing figure who died in 2005.

The dominance of individuals from more recent history reflects the corporate nature of the Hall of Fame, with the inductees formally announced at a gala dinner in Glasgow last night.

But the recognition afforded to several of the latest batch of entrants will be regarded as curious by many observers while some of Scottish football's all-time greats, such as Hearts forward Bobby Walker, Celtic forward Patsy Gallacher and Rangers striker Bob McPhail, continue to be excluded.

Last night's dinner also saw Rangers manager Walter Smith, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2007, receive his award after being unable to attend the dinner three years ago.


Born in September 1929, Johnstone joined Hibs from his hometown club Selkirk in 1946. He forced his way into the first team three years later and became an integral part of the Famous Five forward line alongside Reilly, Smith, Turnbull and Ormond.

Johnstone helped Hibs win the Scottish League title in 1951 and 1952. He was sold to Manchester City in 1955 for 22,000, a considerable fee at the time. Johnstone scored 42 goals in 124 appearances for City, including in successive FA Cup finals in 1955 and 1956, collecting a winner's medal in the latter match against Birmingham City.

He returned to Hibs in 1959 for 6,000, scoring 17 goals in 31 games, before heading south again to complete his club career at Oldham. Johnstone was also a highly successful Scotland player, scoring on his debut in a 3-2 win over England at Wembley in 1951.He netted 10 times for his country in 17 appearances.


One of the most gifted goalkeepers to play for Scotland, Goram was born in Bury in 1964.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The son of Edinburgh-born Lewis Goram, himself a former Hibs, Third Lanark and Bury keeper, Goram began his career with Oldham Athletic and earned his first call-up to the Scotland squad in 1985. Two years later, he joined Hibs in a 325,000 deal and performed with distinction for the Easter Road club. Rangers paid 1 million to sign him in 1991 and he helped the Ibrox club win six of their 'nine-in-a-row' Scottish titles.

He left Rangers in 1998, seeing service with Notts County, Sheffield United, Motherwell, Manchester United, Hamilton, Coventry, Oldham, Queen of the South and Elgin City with varying degrees of success before retiring in 2004.

Goram won 43 caps for Scotland and played for his country at the European Championship finals in England in 1996 before controversially quitting the squad on the eve of the World Cup finals two years later.


Now writing an impressive new chapter in his career as manager of Motherwell, Brown was born in Hamilton in 1940.

As a player, he failed to make the first-team breakthrough at Rangers and moved to Dundee in 1960. He was a member of the Dens Park club's championship-winning squad of 1962 but injuries hindered his playing days, which ended with Falkirk.

Moving into coaching, he was assistant manager at Motherwell under Willie McLean in the early 1970s before becoming manager of Clyde in 1977. Brown guided the then Shawfield club to the Second Division title in 1982. He joined the SFA in 1986 as assistant manager to Andy Roxburgh and also took charge of the under-21 and youth teams. Brown led Scotland to the final of the Fifa Under-16 World Cup in 1989 and took the under-21 team to the European Championhip semi-finals in 1992.

He succeeded Roxburgh as Scotland manager in 1993 and led the nation to the 1996 European Championship finals and the World Cup finals two years later. He stepped down in 2001, then had a two-year spell in charge of Preston North End. He returned to management last year with Motherwell.


Born in Dundee in 1956, Narey was a tall and cultured central defender who was integral to the remarkable success enjoyed by Dundee United under the management of Jim McLean in the 1970s and 1980s.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He made his first-team debut for the Tannadice club in 1973 and went on to spend an astonishing 21 years with the club. Narey made a total of 612 appearances for United, scoring 22 goals. He helped them become Scottish champions in 1983 during a period when they regularly challenged the Old Firm and Aberdeen for the game's major honours.

Narey also collected League Cup winners' medals in 1979 and 1980 and was on the losing side in three Scottish Cup final appearances for the club.He played 76 times in Europe for United, a record for a Scottish player until it was surpassed by former Rangers captain Barry Ferguson two years ago. He left in 1994, completing his career with one season at Raith Rovers which saw the Kirkcaldy club famously defeat Celtic in the League Cup final.

Narey won 35 caps for Scotland, netting one famous goal, which put Scotland ahead against Brazil in the 1982 World Cup finals before they went down 4-1.


A one-club man, hugely popular with Celtic supporters who still celebrate his name in song today, McStay was born in Hamilton in 1964.

A prodigious midfield talent, he first earned public recognition in 1980 when he produced a Man of the Match performance in the celebrated schoolboy international at Wembley which saw Scotland defeat England 5-4. He made his first-team debut for Celtic at the age of 17, scoring in a 3-1 win over Aberdeen. McStay went on to net 57 goals in 514 appearances for the Parkhead club.

Although his 16 years with Celtic encompassed one of the most barren spells of their history, McStay nonetheless helped them win three Scottish titles and also collected four Scottish Cup winners' medals and one League Cup winners' medal. McStay made 76 appearances for Scotland, scoring nine goals. He made his debut under Jock Stein's management at the age of 18 and went on to play for his country in the 1986 and 1990 World Cup finals as well as the 1992 European Championship finals. Injury forced him to retire in 1997.


Born in 1927, Wharton was a larger- than-life figure who became the most respected and celebrated referee in Scottish football history.

He began his career as a match official in 1948 and achieved promotion to Grade One level just three years later. Standing 6ft 4in tall, and also cutting an imposing physical presence through his width, Wharton was inevitably nicknamed 'Tiny'.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He carried a natural air of authority and was a man who set great store by good manners. Even when meting out sanctions, he treated players with respect, always addressing them as 'Mr'. During his 20 years as a referee, Wharton took charge of countless major fixtures, including four Scottish Cup finals and, most famously of all, the 1960 European Cup final at Hampden between Real Madrid and Eintracht Frankfurt.

He became a referee supervisor after hanging up his whistle and was vice-chairman of the Football Trust from 1990 to 2000. Wharton died, aged 77, in 2005.