Dundee 4-0 Partick Thistle

Dundee 4 Young 1; McMenamin 34, 69, 74 Partick Thistle 0

IF DUNDEE'S summer strengthening operation goes as Jocky Scott, their wily manager, plans, on this evidence they will have plenty hope of being promoted next season. The Dens Park side missed out this time round but finished their campaign in style by beating fellow challengers Partick Thistle.

Colin McMenamin's hat-trick helped lift their spirits, allied to Darren Young's instant opener, leaving all eyes on an expected spending spree following the recent arrival of new director Calum Melville. Cash bids have already been registered for Livingston trio Leigh Griffiths, Dave MacKay and Murray Davidson and while the success of those moves is yet to be known, the Dark Blues have already made a clear statement of intent to the rest of the division.

There was always the danger of a laconic affair from two sides who had earlier harboured hopes of promotion but fears were instantly dismissed as Dundee forged into the lead after 32 seconds through the most unlikely source. Darren Young, once tipped for big things years ago by Ebbe Skovdahl while emerging as a youngster at Aberdeen, proved it's better late than never when making up for lost time. Having spent more time on the treatment table than the rest of his team-mates put together since being signed by previous boss Alex Rae, he gave a glimpse of what he's capable of when free from injury.

His early strike came after Andrew Shinnie's corner from the right wasn't properly cleared. With nothing else in his thoughts but to let fly, his effort from 20 yards took a fair deflection off a Thistle defender on its way into the net, beyond the despairing dive of Jags keeper Jon Tuffey.

Having finished a close second in the league, Thistle had also wanted to finish with a flurry for the sake at least of their travelling support, albeit Marc Twaddle's downward header from a Paul Paton cross was about all they had to show for their efforts before the break. And they fell further behind when Dundee struck again in 34 minutes.

It was simple stuff, with Canadian Chris Pozniak releasing McMenamin who kept his cool before rounding Tuffey before slotting home from an angle.

Dundee dominated after the break and deserved to extend their lead still further in 69 minutes when McMenamin stole a yard on his marker to convert Bryan Deasley's near-post cross. Then, with 15 minutes left, McMenamin completed the rout as he calmly picked his spot to leave Tuffey helpless from 12 yards.