South Africa wrap up victory despite Brownlie defiance

Australian bowling great Glenn McGrath was inducted to the ICC Hall of Fame in Sydney yesterday. Picture: Getty
Australian bowling great Glenn McGrath was inducted to the ICC Hall of Fame in Sydney yesterday. Picture: Getty
Share this article
Have your say

South Africa completed an innings victory over New Zealand yesterday in a result which was never in doubt after the 
visitors collapsed to 45 all out before lunch on the opening day of the first Test.

Dean Brownlie’s maiden Test century helped New Zealand to 232 for five at lunch on the third day after South Africa had declared their first innings closed at 347 for eight on Thursday.

However, five wickets fell for 23 runs in a lower order collapse in the second session and the New Zealanders ended up 27 runs short of making the world No 1 side bat again.

Brownlie, who had been brought into the team as a replacement for Ross Taylor who opted out of the tour after he was replaced as captain by Brendon McCullum, resumed on day three with wicketkeeper BJ Watling, who was on ten. The duo were resolute in the morning session and a frustrated Proteas’ outfit were forced to watch as Brownlie reached his century with a big six over long-off from the bowling of Robin Peterson.

South Africa eventually got their man in the penultimate over before lunch as Brownlie cut a Morne Morkel delivery straight to Alviro Petersen on the point boundary having made 109.

Watling and James Franklin continued to frustrate the Proteas in the first hour following the break as they looked to avoid an innings defeat.

Three dropped catches had marred the hosts’ fielding display on day two and Franklin was next to be given a reprieve after Petersen grassed his second chance of the innings at gully.

A double-strike by Vernon Philander shortly before the drinks break crippled the New Zealand innings, though, as Watling edged to first slip and was out for 42. Doug Bracewell was caught at gully for a duck to reduce the Black Caps to 252 for seven and Jeetan Patel (8) was clearly rattled by the fearsome pace of Dale Steyn before eventually chopping on to his stumps.

The final two wickets fell in quick succession, as Franklin, too, played on to his stumps for 22 having lasted 103 minutes to leave New Zealand on the brink at 274 for nine.

The match ended in a fittingly shambolic fashion for the Black Caps when Chris Martin was run out one delivery later without having faced a ball after being sent back by Trent Boult.

Philander won the man-of-the-match award for his match figures of 7-83, which included five for seven in the first innings.

The second and final Test starts in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the International Cricket Council inducted Glenn McGrath into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame during the lunch interval yesterday of the third Test match between Australia and Sri Lanka in Sydney.

McGrath, who was born in in Dubbo, New South Wales in 1970, represented Australia in 124 Test matches between 1993 and 2007 claiming 563 Test wickets at an average of 21.64, and he has still taken more Test wickets than any other seam bowler currently in the game or retired.

McGrath said of his induction: “I am delighted to be inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame and to be considered amongst the greats of the game. To be honoured alongside the likes of Don Bradman, Dennis Lillee and Michael Holding who were all my heroes when I was growing up is something I could never have dreamed of when I first started playing cricket.”

Australia took the upper hand in the Test against Sri Lanka after closing the second day on 342 for six in Sydney. Sri Lanka were bowled out just before close of play for 294 on Thursday.