England seamer Steven Finn has been ruled out of the remainder of the South Africa tour with a side strain.
Yorkshire’s Liam Plunkett, who is currently with the England Lions in the United Arab Emirates, will replace him in the one-day and Twenty20 squads.
Finn suffered the injury during the third Test in Johannesburg, where he will begin his recovery for a week before returning home.
At this stage England are hopeful Finn will be fit for the World Twenty20 in March, though even then he would be short of meaningful white-ball practice heading into the tournament.
More immediately, England will choose between Chris Woakes, Chris Jordan and Mark Footitt for the fourth Test at Centurion, which starts on Friday.
An England and Wales Cricket Board statement read: “Finn felt discomfort on day two of the third Test and scans revealed a left side strain.
“Finn, who had been selected in both the ODI and T20 squads, will stay in South Africa for a week to begin his rehab before returning to the UK at the end of the Test series. He is expected to be available for selection for the ICC World T20.”
Meanwhile, Indian spinner Ajit Chandila has been banned for life and batsman Hiken Shah for five years after being found guilty of corruption charges.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India announced the sanctions after a meeting of its disciplinary committee in Mumbai, less than a week after former South Africa international Gulam Bodi was revealed as the player charged with similar offences during the RAM SLAM.
Chandila’s case dates from the Indian Premier League spot-fixing scandal in 2013, while Shah was suspended last July.
The BCCI said: “Ajit Chandila is banned for life from playing or representing cricket in any form or to be associated in any way with the activities of the Board or its Affiliates.
“Hiken Shah is banned for five years from playing or representing cricket in any form or to be associated in any way with the activities of the Board or its Affiliates.”
Former international umpire Asad Rauf has also been under investigation by the BCCI but did not attend the hearing.
The statement continued: “The hearing of Asad Rauf was scheduled for today. He did not appear in person but sent a reply stating that no fair enquiry has been conducted in his matter and hence a de novo enquiry be held by appointing another enquiry officer. The said request was rejected by the Disciplinary Committee.
“The Committee gave him a final opportunity to submit his written statement if any, and produce documents on which he proposes to rely on before February 9, 2016. The date of the hearing and the final order has been scheduled for February 12, 2016 in Mumbai.”