Comfortable win for Carlton as clash with Grange looms

Share this article
Have your say

Carlton received a boost ahead of Saturday’s home derby encounter with arch-rivals Barclays Grange when they launched their East Premiership campaign with a comfortable victory over newly promoted SMRH at Grange Loan.

The south side club, who are staging an open day coinciding with the Grange fixture as part of 150th anniversary celebrations, were, in fact, the only leading Capital outfit to post an opening day win as Watsonians, Grange and Heriot’s all lost.

Tight bowling from teenage spinner Chayank Gosein (4-38) was at the heart of the Carlton triumph as SMRH were dismissed for 159-7 despite some defiance from Cedric English.

Returning to his former club, English required the assistance of a runner after straining a hamstring early on but still hung around to frustrate the hosts. When SMRH eventually folded Carlton wasted no time in knocking off the runs spearheaded by Preston Mommsen’s innings of 66 from 68 balls and a Kyle Macpherson half century.

After starting the Scottish Cup with three victories Heriot’s forfeited their 100 per cent record by going down at home to Stoneywood Dyce. Dave Ross (56) and Steve Knox (36) put on 75 for the third wicket and Sean Weeraratna made a useful 34 as Heriot’s were dismissed for 175 in 43.4 overs.

Keith Morton (2-51) did most to hold up the Northerners but Heriot’s eventually succumbed.

At Raeburn Place Barclays Grange found themselves inserted by Aberdeenshire in a match reduced to 30 overs-a-side.

Brothers Henry (37) and Josh (31) Edwards took Grange to 142-6 but a drying outfield helped ’Shire knock off the runs with 12 balls to spare.

For Grange Gregor Maiden had 2-22 from seven overs.

One of the biggest shocks of the day was at Myreside where champions Watsonians were brought down to earth by Arbroath United.

Invited to bat ’Sonians were bundled out for 106 and although Dewald Nel and Paddy Sadler shared half a dozen wickets in the reply Arbroath had too much in hand.

In the First Division Penicuik blew their chance of an opening win when they failed to get the 15 runs from the final two overs with five wickets in hand against Glenrothes.

RH Corstophine travelled to Freuchie and overcame the former national village champions.