Auchinleck Talbot 2 - 1 Musselburgh Athletic: Auchinleck have that bit extra to end brave Musselburgh's dreams

JUST as in the 100th Scottish Junior Cup Final, the 125th was won by Auchinleck Talbot, who out-lasted the brave challenge of unfancied Musselburgh Athletic to take the trophy for a record ninth time.

But this was far from the cake-walk some imagined it would be pre-match; indeed, few would argue with the summing-up of disappointed 'Burgh boss Dave McGlynn: "If normal time had lasted five more minutes, I think we would have won it - we definitely had the momentum at that time.

"Extra time told on us though, but, I'm proud of my boys and our magnificent fans."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The underdogs' fightback from one goal down was impressive, but, as he celebrated his own third managerial triumph, Talbot manager Tommy Sloan said: "I thought we were the better side over the whole two hours, but we didn't take our chances and fair play to Musselburgh for the way they fought back to 1-1. But, in extra time, I felt we were far stronger and we got our reward."

Bryan Young, the man whose extra time goal returned the trophy to Beechwood Park, was particularly pleased to see his shot go in.

"I think we got a wee bit complacent in the second half, we had chances to wrap it up, didn't take them and paid the price when they equalised. But we were always confident of our fitness telling in extra time and I thought we deserved to win."

'Burgh made those who believed they were at Rugby Park as cannon fodder re-assess their ideas in a spirited first-half display. Certainly the Ayrshire side enjoyed marginally more possession, and created the greater number of chances, but big Kris Renton worked the Talbot back four incessantly, with Mathu King impressive in support, but when 'Burgh did get close to the Talbot goal, they found goalkeeper Andy Leishman in commanding form.

Had the game reached the break with the scoreline still blank, there would have been few complaints. The first half was open, with both sides making light of a blustery wind. Indeed, the match probably set a record for a junior encounter in Ayrshire, as nine minutes passed before referee Greg Aitken had to blow for a free kick.

However, with a mere two minutes of the half to play, Talbot struck. They pressurised the 'Burgh defence and when a slack clearance fell to Mick McCann, some 30-yards from goal, he tamed the ball, advanced to the edge of the box and fired a low shot firmly past Kieron Renton and into the bottom right-hand corner of the goal to break the deadlock.

On pressure, Talbot perhaps deserved to strike first, but it was a bitter blow to the 'Burgh to go in at the break trailing. The next goal was going to be crucial and the Talbot fans thought they had it in 51 minutes when full-back Liam McVey burst forward and crossed for the unmarked James Lattaq, but the full back's cross was too high and too-strong and Lattaq could only head harmlessly high and wide of the target.

Talbot came close again two minutes later when good passing down the right set up Colin Spence, but Renton got down smartly to save his 15-yarder. Then, two minutes later, at the other end, his tireless brother Kris Renton blocked an attempted clearance of a back pass by Leishman, but the goalkeeper reacted quicker to smother the loose ball and 'Burgh's chance had gone.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kris Renton was crowded out again, in 75 minutes when sheer force of numbers beat him and the frustrated 'Burgh fans's shouts for a penalty went unheeded by the referee.

But, 'Burgh kept going and were rewarded in 77 minutes when Chris King released Kris Renton into the Talbot box, then scampered forward to slide home the big striker's low cross at the far post for the equaliser which was no less than the East Lothian side deserved and one which enabled them to take the final into extra time, the first time since 2007 the additional half hour had been required.Just three minutes into the extra period, Bryan Young restored Talbot's lead, firing home a pass from skipper Bryan Slaven from 12 yards and there was a strong sense then that the cup was heading down the A76.

Talbot's opening goal scorer McCann went off injured early in the second period of extra time, to be replaced by the eternal Stevie Mallan who, aged 44, is the only active player in Scotland who can call Davie Weir: "Young man".

Talbot substitute Davie Gillies rattled Renton's right-hand post in 111 minutes as Talbot's superior fitness began to tell. The Ayrshire side continued to pound forward at every opportunity as they ensured their record of Scottish Junior Cup wins would be extended.

Auchinleck Talbot: Leishman, Latta (Gillies 72), McVey, Robb, Collins, Spence (Connelly 84), Young, White, McCann (Mallan 107), Boyle, Slavin. Subs not used: Davidson, O'Neill, McGoldrick, Smith.

Musselburgh Athletic: Keiron Renton, Gordon, Morgan, Gibson, Kerr, Shand (Russell 107), Beveridge, C King, Kris Renton, M King (Porteous 117), Tansey (Murray 64). Subs not used: Draper, Ramage, Mitchell, Adams.