Glasgow Uni student jailed after drunk hit-and-run

Last month, at Paisley Sheriff Court, Allan admitted her guilt over the incident. Picture: John Devlin
Last month, at Paisley Sheriff Court, Allan admitted her guilt over the incident. Picture: John Devlin
Have your say

A student’s career is in tatters after she was jailed for mowing down a young runner while drunk – and then fleeing the scene.

Katie Allan, who studies geography at the University of Glasgow, hoped to become a researcher or teacher after she graduated. But the 20-year-old’s hopes of graduating and having a good career are hanging in the balance after she was jailed for 16 months yesterday after running over the 15-year-old while drunk.

Allan downed four pints of cider before trying to drive home from the pub on 10 August last year.

On the way she hit the central reservation, causing her to lose control of the vehicle and hit the 15-year-old runner, striking him with such force her car’s bumper was ripped off. Allan then sped off in her Ford Fiesta, leaving her victim lying unconscious on the pavement with blood pouring from his head. The schoolboy, who was preparing to sit his Highers at the time, also suffered a broken ankle and a fractured eye socket, had to take two weeks off school and spent months on crutches.

Last month, at Paisley Sheriff Court, Allan admitted her guilt over the incident, which happened in the Glasgow suburb of Giffnock.

She pleaded guilty to causing serious injury to the teenager by driving dangerously, and driving with 87 microgrammes of alcohol in 100ml of breath – more than four-times the 22mcg limit – both in breach of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

The collision occurred at around 9pm on 10 August 2017, as the boy, who was wearing headphones, was running on Eastwoodmains Road, in Giffnock.

Prosecutor Pamela Brady said “a number of eye witnesses” saw Allan driving “somewhat erratically” before she struck the teen.

She added: “[He] had no idea of the car’s approach and it is noted that the bumper came off the car at the point of impact and the car then drove forward and left the vicinity.

“Witnesses then approached him and he was seen to be lying on the pavement unconscious and he was bleeding from his face and head.”

Allan’s car registration was given to police by a witness and officers found her drunk at her home.

She was also “upset and distressed”, put her hands out in front of her so she could be handcuffed and “repeatedly asked the officers if the person she struck was okay”.

Mrs Brady added: “She said she had drunk four pints.”

Sentence was deferred for background reports to be prepared and Allan returned to the dock yesterday.

Defence solicitor Amy Spencer said Allan was “truly sorry” and had apologised to her victim.

Sheriff David Pender ruled that there was only one appropriate sentence and jailed Allan for 16 months, reduced from 24 as she admitted her guilt.

As he did so, he said: “You were very much under the influence of alcohol – it should have been very obvious to you that you were not in a condition to drive.”