A man who strangled a woman to death while they had sex has been jailed for six years.
The High Court in Edinburgh heard Chloe Miazek, 20, died as a result of Mark Bruce’s actions at an Aberdeen flat on November 3, 2017.
Bruce’s lawyer said on Thursday the former carer accepted he did not get consent from his victim to choke her.
The 32-year-old handed himself in to police within hours of the offence taking place and admitted his guilt before judge Lord Kinclaven last month.
Defence QC Brian McConnachie said Bruce accepted responsibility for his victim’s death but did not intend for her to die.
While sentencing on Thursday, Lord Kinclaven said: “You went to the police station within a matter of hours and tendered your plea of guilty using accelerated procedure.
“Ms Miazek was aged only 20 at the time of death. You assaulted her while engaged in sexual activity. You seized her by the neck and compressed her neck.”
He added there was a “significant sexual element” to the offence.
Lord Kinclaven said: “Clearly the family are heartbroken and devastated by their loss.
“The court appreciates there’s nothing this court can do or say to reduce that pain.
“There’s no alternative to a significant custodial sentence.”
Bruce was sentenced to six years in prison for culpable homicide, which was backdated to November when he was first remanded in custody.
In a statement released after court, Ms Miazek’s family said: “No matter the outcome today or what has been said in court, Chloe - our beautiful daughter - was a young girl in the prime of her life who did not deserve to die.
“She was thoughtful, caring and intelligent and was loved dearly by her entire family and many friends.
“Losing a child is every parent’s worst nightmare, but it’s a reality we now face.
“We will always remember Chloe for the loving girl she was and will forever try to keep that memory alive.”