16 lost Edinburgh cinemas that are gone but not forgotten
TODAY there are less than a dozen cinemas in Edinburgh, but once upon a time there were around a dozen for just about every postcode.
By The Newsroom
Saturday, 26th January 2019, 8:34 pm
Updated Saturday, 26th January 2019, 8:45 pm
U.C.I. Multicomplex. at Kinnaird Park Edinburgh
George Baird’s list, Edinburgh Theatres, Cinemas and Circuses: 1820-1963, names more than 120 cinemas in the Capital. Many of them opened in 1913, the boom year for cinema. Most have long since been demolished; even the ones that became bingo halls are starting to be replaced by luxury flats. Here are 16 lost Edinburgh cinemas which many of you may fondly recall.
Join our Facebook group Our Edinburgh to share images and news from and around the Capital
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The UCI was the first multiplex cinema in Edinburgh. Now demolished and replaced.
The Caley Cinema which is now a Wetherspoons pub. Pictured is the dog who played Bobby outside the cinema for the premiere of Disney's Greyfriars Bobby film.
Exterior of the State cinema in Leith, which closed its doors in the 1970s. Recently reopened for the Hidden Door Festival.
The former Alhambra cinema near the Foot of Leith Walk which was demolished in the 1960s.
Pooles Roxy on Gorgie Road is said to have been a favourite haunt of John Lennon's when visiting his aunt in Edinburgh.
Exterior of The Regent cinema in Abbeyhill which was earmarked for demolition in the 1970s.
The autioriums of the ABC cinema were demolished in April 2001 and replaced by the current Odeon.
Exterior of the Ritz cinema in Rodney Street Edinburgh. The last film shown was on November 28th 1981 with Exorcist II (the heretic) and Mad Max and the building was demolished in 1983.
The Embassy Cinema in Pilton in 1958. The cinema was demolished in the 1980s.
United Wire Works employees queue outside New Victoria cinema for a special showing of the film South Pacific in January 1959. The cinema was rebranded as Odeon in the 1960s.
The Palace Cinema on the left which was closed and demolished in the 1950s.
A fire at the Scotia Cinema in Dalry in 1962.
The Gaumont Cinema in Canning Street was destroyed by fire in May 1962.
The Jacey on Princes Street which showed a variety of news reels, cartoons and the odd slightly saucy flick.
The Capitol cinema closed in 1961 and was developed into a bingo hall.
The Synod Hall where the first talkies were shown in Edinburgh. It was demolished in 1965.