Members of the public are being warned to be careful with their mobile phones around water, after a 15 year old girl has died after being electrocuted while using her iPhone in the bath.
Russian teen Irina Rybnikova was said to be messaging friends from the bath, while her phone was charging.
A tragic incident
Reports state that the teenager accidentally dropped the phone into the water after it slipped out of her hands because her fingers were wet.
She was then electrocuted and died instantly from heart failure, on 8 December.
Rybnikova’s body was found by her parents at their home in the city of Bratsk in Russia.
Her sister, Tatiana, reportedly told Komsomolskaya Pravada newspaper that Irina had recently become a godmother to her daughter.
“In August she became the godmother to my little daughter,” said Tatiana.
“My child adored her and called her ‘Nanny’. And now she is not with us anymore.”
“Our hearts are broken.”
Irina was reportedly fond of martial arts and had recently won the Russian Youth Pankration Championship, an ancient sport that combines elements of boxing and wrestling.
Warning to phone users
Tragic cases such as this are not uncommon, with a number of similar reports emerging in recent years, particularly among the younger generation.
In March 2017, a 32 year old man from Essex died from electrocution after attempting to charge his phone while taking a bath.
The man reportedly plugged his charger into an extension cord from the hallway and rested it on his chest while using the phone.
He suffered severe burns on his chest, arm and hand after the charger touched the water.
The latest tragedy provides a fresh warning for phone users to take extra care and avoid using electrical appliances in the bathroom, or anywhere else they might accidentally come into contact with water.
While some newer models of smartphone are manufactured to be water resistant, if there is a live current passing through it from a charger cord, this will not keep you protected from being electrocuted should the phone touch water.