Dream Christmas gifts come in all shapes and sizes, but this year there appears to be a huge demand for Aldi’s Kevin the Carrot toys.
The lovable characters are being listed for hundreds of pounds on eBay after the supermarket sold out within hours of the toys going on sale online.
On sale for more than £400
Aldi permitted shoppers to buy a select number of the plush toys when they went on sale due to their popularity, with purchases limited to just two toys per person. The restrictions were intended to prevent shoppers from cashing in on the sought-after toys by re-selling them on eBay for inflated prices.
However, the sold-out toys have since appeared on the online marketplace regardless, with some sellers listing them for more than £400.
A full set of the carrot toys – which includes a giant Kevin, Katie and their children, and Pascal the Wicked Parsnip – is listed for an eye-watering £1,230, while another seller is offering the same set for £400.
A giant Kevin the Carrot is being sold for £1,000, almost 50 times its original price tag of £19.99.
The 2019 Christmas version of Aldi’s Kevin toy is also up for sale on eBay, with sellers asking for as much as £250 for the one metre giant plush.
Thousands were left disappointed as the toys sold out after they went on sale at the weekend (24 Nov), despite many shoppers waiting in queues in the early hours of the morning to get their hands on one.
Numerous shoppers took to Twitter to express their frustration, with one writing, “@AldiUK will you be getting anymore online? Was in a queue for ages then they’re all gone! #KevinTheCarrot.”
“@AldiUK waiting ages in a queue as soon as we got the email, we find out that the Kevin in a kilt is sold out. Really disappointed,” said another.
“I have been in a queue to access the website since 00.53. It is now 03.17 and it says I have a 45 minute wait still,” tweeted an angry customer.
Another Twitter user expressed their disappointment at the toys being sold out, stating they expected them to later appear on eBay for a significantly higher price.
In response, an Aldi spokesperson said, “We are disappointed that a small number of people are looking to profit from a good cause.
“We’re sorry that some shoppers were unable to get their hands on these toys online, however, demand has been extremely high.”
Aldi told The Sun that the toys won’t be restocked online, but shoppers will have a chance to get their hands on one when they are released in stores on this Thursday (28 Nov).
Kevin the Carrot range
These are all the Kevin the Carrot items available to buy from Aldi stores and online:
- Kevin the Carrot inflatable snowglobe (online only) – £49.99
- Kevin the Carrot ladies pyjamas – £9.99
- Kevin the Carrot men’s pyjamas – £9.99
- Kevin the Carrot children’s pyjamas – £4.99
- Kevin the Carrot children’s Christmas jumper – £8.99
- Kevin the Carrot plush – £3.99
- Katie the Carrot plush – £3.99
- Carrot kids plush – £3.99
- Tiny Tom plush – £3.99
- Russell Sprout plush – £3.99
- Kevin the Carrot Christmas tree decorations – £2.99
- Giant Kevin the Carrot – £19.99
- Giant Katie the Carrot – £19.99
- Kevin the Carrot Christmas book – £2.99
- Kevin the Carrot gift mug – £2.99
- Kevin the Carrot Christmas crackers – £1.99
- Kevin the Carrot Christmas cards – £1.99
- Kevin the Carrot Christmas wrapping paper – £1.99
- Kevin the Carrot stationary – £1.99