Surgery on Afghan baby hailed ‘a success’

A BABY flown to Scotland from Pakistan for treatment, following a fire which killed his family, underwent major surgery today.

Baby Mohammad Sudais' two aunts watch over him. Picture: Robina Qureshi, Positive Action in Housing

Doctors decided three-month-old Mohammad Sudais was strong enough to undergo a three-hour operation after discovering he had developed an infection.

The baby is being cared for at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, in Yorkhill, Glasgow - and doctors said his operation had been “a success”.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Two of his aunts watched over him earlier today as he recovers in the hospital’s High Dependency Unit.

Baby Mohammad Sudais' two aunts watch over him. Picture: Robina Qureshi, Positive Action in Housing

His uncle Mohammad Asif, who lives in Glasgow, flew out to Pakistan to bring his nephew for treatment.

He said: “He was tired and he had so many injuries to his body, especially to his face and back, which was uncomfortable.

He said the doctors were “optimistic” and he was “hoping his body will look very different, in a positive way”.

Robina Qureshi, of the charity Positive Action In Housing, which has launched an appeal to raise £15,000 towards the costs of bring him to Scotland, praised the help the baby has received in Scotland.

Three-month-old Muhammad had to be resuscitated on Tuesday night. Picture: Contributed

She said: “Last night we thought we had lost him. It gives an idea of just how much this child has been through in his first four months of life.”

Ms Qureshi added: It’s doubtful Baby Mohammad would be alive were it not for the fast actions of the Scottish Health Secretary Alex Neil who saved this child’s life by showing he has a value and should be treated with compassion by allowing him to come to Scotland.

“Here he has a chance. Knowing what he’s been through, this child is clearly a fighter and will one day make this country proud.”

“Baby Mohammad lost his entire family in a gas explosion at his parents home in Peshawar, Pakistan on 16 December 2013. It is understood the explosion happened as a result of a gas outage. This is a regular occurrence in regions of Pakistan.”