Furious father beheads his daughter for ‘dishonouring the family name’

A FATHER in north-western India remained unrepentant yesterday after beheading his daughter with a ceremonial sword in a rage over her relationships with men, police said.

The father surrendered at a police station, carrying the head in one hand and the bloodied sword in the other, police said.

Residents of Dungarji village expressed shock as they performed the last rites for the 20-year-old woman.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Police said the father, marble miner Oghad Singh, accused his daughter of bringing dishonour to the family, making it hard to find husbands for her two unmarried sisters.

A coroner stitched Kanwar’s head onto her body for the funeral. No women attended the ceremony but about 100 men, many of them relatives wearing ceremonial Rajput warrior clan turbans, surrounded her muslin-wrapped body, and her brother lit the funeral pyre.

Villagers condemned the father’s actions as extreme. They said the father, his shirt soaked in blood, had carried his daughter’s head through the village, describing what he’d done to neighbours.

“He told me that he took the sword out, and when the daughter was all alone in the house he beheaded her with a single stroke and the head fell on the ground,” said Narayan Singh, a distant relative.

He said he persuaded Singh to surrender, and took him by motorcycle to a police station two miles away. Police charged Singh, 46, with murder.

“It was a ghastly sight,” officer Ranjit Singh said, describing the father sitting in the station’s waiting room holding the head in one hand and the sword in the other.

“Oghad admitted immediately that he killed his daughter because she had earned a bad name for the family.”

Police described Kanwar’s recent life as difficult and unorthodox for the traditional community of about 1,000 just outside the Rajasthani tourist town of Udaipur.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

She left her husband from an arranged marriage two years ago, and when she eloped with a man two weeks ago, her father forced her to return on Sunday and killed her.