Worker who fell from North Sea oil platform named

George Bartlett. Picture: Contributed
George Bartlett. Picture: Contributed
Share this article
Have your say

THE OIL worker who died after falling into the sea from an offshore platform has been named as George Bartlett from Shotts, West Lothian.

Bartlett, 62, was on the Taqa-operated Harding platform about 198 miles (320km) north east of Aberdeen when he fell into the North Sea during maintenance work at around 2.15am today.

He was recovered from the water and airlifted to Gilbert Bain Hospital in Lerwick, Shetland, but later died, police said.

Bartlett’s family said in a statement: “George was a loving husband, father and grandfather and will be sorely missed by us all. He has worked offshore for many years but no matter how far away he was he would always be in touch.

“We are a close-knit family and we now ask that we are given time to come to terms with our loss.”

The Health and Safety Executive is investigating the incident as it is being treated as a work-related death.

The platform has a crew of 108 people and all other workers have been accounted for, Taqa said.

A company spokesman said yesterday: “Taqa regrets to confirm there has been a fatality on the Harding platform in the North Sea.

“A Taqa employee fell overboard during a maintenance activity on the platform. He was recovered from the sea by a support vessel and transferred to Gilbert Bain Hospital in Shetland by helicopter. The next of kin has been informed.

“Our immediate thoughts are with the family and friends of our colleague at this extremely sad time. Taqa is providing its fullest support to all those involved.

“All other 108 people on board the Harding platform have been accounted for and are safe.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “The area control room in Aberdeen received a report at approximately 3am today of an incident on the Harding Platform in the North Sea, where a man had fallen from the platform into the sea.

“As a result of the incident, a 62-year-old man was flown to hospital in Lerwick but has subsequently died.

“The investigation is currently being treated as a work-related death and Police Scotland are working with partners, carrying out a joint investigation with the Health and Safety Executive and under the direction of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service to determine the full circumstances.”