‘Monster’ NCO jailed for sex attack on lesbian

Timothy Jones was found guilty after a military trial
Timothy Jones was found guilty after a military trial
Share this article
Have your say

A “monster” sergeant major has been jailed for two-and-a-half years for sexually assaulting a lesbian soldier after a drink-fuelled party, in an attack which left her considering suicide.

Warrant officer Timothy Jones, 40, was found guilty last month following a trial at Bulford Military Court in Wiltshire.

The court heard Jones, who left the army in April after 23 years of service, had been drinking with the victim, her partner, and several other soldiers from 9 Theatre Logistic Regiment during a barbecue in Wiltshire, in May last year. The revelry moved into the bedroom of the victim, where she was seen to kiss her partner before the couple were left alone in the room with Jones.

He then sent a text message to a friend saying: “LOL. I’m lying between two lesbians, what should I do?”

The victim later woke to find Jones sexually assaulting her.

Sentencing Jones, Assistant Judge Advocate General Alan Large yesterday said: “You were the squadron sergeant major with an important role in discipline and setting of standards and junior soldiers looked up to you and respected you.

“They were entitled to have you treat them with respect and to keep them safe.” He added: “The impact that excessive alcohol can have on people’s lives and careers is well-known to this court, the British Army and society in general. The army expects soldiers to drink alcohol appropriately.

“As you consumed more alcohol, to put it bluntly, you decided to try your luck.”

Lieutenant-Colonel David Phillips, prosecuting, read a statement written by the victim.

She said: “Since the incident, it has affected me badly – I have been suffering nightmares nearly every night, I have been attacking my partner during my sleep. I thought about killing myself because I couldn’t cope – I was angry, upset, depressed.”

The court heard Jones joined the army in 1990, was married to a charity fundraiser and they had two children, a 14-year-old son and a daughter, four.

Jones was of previous good character and had served in Northern Ireland, Rwanda and the former Yugoslavia. He had received a long-service medal, good-conduct medal and medals for service in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jonathan Simpson, defending, said that Jones, whom he described as an “old dinosaur”, had begun to admit his guilt having previously denied the offence.

He added: “He wants to confront the monster that he was that night so it doesn’t happen again.” Mr Simpson said Jones’ wife was standing by him.