Doctors find fork in man’s stomach

Doctors operating on a patient who was rushed to hospital with stomach pains say they discovered a nine-inch fork in his belly.

Lee Gardner, who was vomiting blood and had stomach cramps, told surgeons in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, he had accidentally swallowed the plastic fork a decade ago.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr Gardner, 40, said he had forgotten he had eaten it as doctors at the time assured him it would pass through his system naturally. Doctors at Barnsley Hospital found that the prongs had pressed on the stomach lining causing an ulcer that led to the bleeding.