Stonehaven man who died after sea rescue is named

A police handout of paramedic Peter Trudgill. Picture: PA
A police handout of paramedic Peter Trudgill. Picture: PA
Share this article
Have your say

THE man who died after being swept into the sea at Stonehaven Bay in Aberdeenshire has been named as Peter Trudgill, a 43 year-old paramedic.

Mr Trudgill, who stayed in the Stonehaven area, died in hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning after he was rescued from a raging sea by a police officer and two members of the public.

He is understood to have been walking in the harbour area with members of his family and had been taking pictures of the high seas around Stonehaven harbour on Saturday afternoon when he was swept into the bay by a huge wave.

He was pulled to the shore after spending up to 40 minutes in the water by a police officer and two members of the public and was airlifted by a a search and rescue helicopter to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

Inspector Inness Coull of Police Scotland said: “Members of the emergency services faced treacherous conditions and the male had been in the water for some time before he was removed by a police officer and members of the public. I would like to thank the members of the public for their assistance.”

Aberdeen Coastguard Watch Manager George Downie said: “We would urge members of the public to be extra careful along the shoreline and to avoid going into the water in bad weather. Even in shallow water it is easy to become over powered by the strength of the sea.”

A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Officers were called to Stonehaven Harbour area at around 3pm on Saturday to reports of a person being swept into the water. Police attended along with ambulance and coastguard. Air support was also requested. It was established that a 43 year-old male was within the water and he was traced and removed from the water at approximately 3.40pm.

“The male, who had been walking with family members, was airlifted to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary. Unfortunately in the early hours of Sunday he succumbed to his injuries.”

He added: “As with all sudden deaths a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: “Our deepest sympathies go out to Peter’s family at this difficult time. Peter was an exemplary paramedic and a popular member of the team in Aberdeen who will be sadly missed by all of his colleagues.”