Heroin addict admits ‘hit-and-run’ killing of girl

Picture: John Devlin
Picture: John Devlin
Share this article
Have your say

A HEROIN addict has admitted killing an 11-year-old schoolgirl in a horrific hit and run in Glasgow

Christopher Hannah knocked down Sophie Brannan after his car mounted the pavement in Maryhill, Glasgow, last November.

Hannah – high on drugs at the time – also left Sophie’s ten-year-old friend and the other girl’s uncle badly hurt.

The 33-year-old fled the scene, but later called a friend to say he had been driving like a “madman” and had hit someone.

However, Hannah added: “Watch the news – police have fitted me up.”

He was later arrested and it led to him yesterday appearing in the dock at the High Court in Glasgow.

The father-of-three is now behind bars after he pled guilty to the culpable homicide of Sophie.

Hannah – who already had a lengthy criminal record – will learn his fate next month.

Sophie’s family – including her father Graham – were in court yesterday to hear the tragic details of the girl’s death.

She had been with a young friend and the other girl’s 36-year-old uncle in the city’s Sandbank Street, in Maryhill, on 14 November last year. It is thought they had all been making their way back from local shops.

The court heard that Hannah was driving a hired Vauxhall Astra and lost control.

He then fully mounted the pavement before hitting the gable end of a nearby building.

However, the car continued to career forward, eventually ploughing into Sophie and the two people with her from behind.

Prosecutor Allan Nicol said: “This caused them to be thrown on to the bonnet, windscreen and roof of the vehicle before falling on to the ground.”

Another motorist witnessed the crash and immediately turned back to help Sophie.

More witnesses saw Hannah speed on to nearby Maryhill Road with his badly dented car being “driven erratically”.

He then smacked into a taxi – the driver of which decided to tail Hannah, who eventually stopped a short distance away.

Mr Nicol added: “At that point, the accused was trying to pull the damaged front bumper then he stopped and walked away before starting to run off.

“Both the taxi driver and his passengers noticed that he was under the influence of some substance.”

Medics soon arrived on the scene and found Sophie lying on the pavement.

She was rushed to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill where she was found to have swelling to her brain, several fractures and broken bones.

The schoolgirl remained in intensive care overnight, but she never recovered and was pronounced dead on the morning on 15 November.

The court heard the other young girl hit suffered a serious leg break which will require long-term physiotherapy.


Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Subscribe to our DAILY NEWSLETTER (requires registration)


iPhone | iPad | Android | Kindle