Driver cheats death after deer crash

David Macdonald spent six days in hospital after the crash. Picture: Colin Hattersley
David Macdonald spent six days in hospital after the crash. Picture: Colin Hattersley
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN on his way to a funeral convention cheated death – after his car smashed into a deer.

David Macdonald, 55, ended up seeing the inside of a resuscitation room and enduring a six-day hospital stint after colliding with the wild animal – just two days after being sent home from a previous two-week hospital stay with an e-coli infection.

David, who drives the departed across the UK, and was on his way to a funeral convention when the smash happened, said: “What an amazing amount of aggro that deer caused.”

He believes he is lucky to be alive after hearing of an incident in the north of Scotland in which a huge stag killed a driver after smashing through a windscreen.

David, who was driving to Coventry in his Ford Focus when the 70mph accident occurred on the A1 near Dunbar, said: “There wasn’t a soul on the road, then boom. I don’t know where it came from. It felt like a rock. I thought I’d hit something that had dropped out of a lorry. But the police found the dead deer.”

Fortunately his 60-year-old wife, Angela, was uninjured in the June 7 collision.

Nuclear defence police, patrolling Torness Power Station, were first on the scene, followed by an ambulance and conventional police. With chest pain and in shock, he was 
taken to the Royal Infirmary and checked into a resuscitation room, after his bloodied shirt was cut from his body. But David’s ordeal was far from over.

The crash exacerbated symptoms of multiple sclerosis, affecting David’s mobility and leading to a near week-long stint as an inpatient. While there he received a call from an ambulance-chasing insurance company which abruptly ended when he said he “couldn’t claim from a deer”.

He added: “I went to a combined assessment unit and it was like watching a war film with more and more people coming in on trolleys.”

David left hospital on June 13, but is still waiting for his car to be mended. “The front of the car was a mess, but I’m hoping to get it back this week.

“Five hours after the crash someone told me they saw the deer still lying by the side of the road. It’s lucky it didn’t suffer.”

Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) said that last month was the peak time for deer-related car accidents, as yearling animals disperse, looking for their own territories.

There are more than 7000 collisions between motor vehicles and deer every year in Scotland, with an average of 65 resulting in human injuries. The stretch of the A1 where David’s crash occurred is a deer accident hotspot.

Sinclair Coghill, SNH wildlife management officer, said: “We should all be aware of the risk of deer on the road when we’re driving, especially at this time of year. This is becoming more and more of an issue in the Central Belt. It’s not just a problem on remote Highland roads.”