Brechin City captain ’lucky’ after being hit by car

Brechin captain Ewan Moyes in action against Rangers. Picture: Jane Barlow
Brechin captain Ewan Moyes in action against Rangers. Picture: Jane Barlow
Share this article
Have your say

BRECHIN City Football Club’s captain escaped serious injury after he was hit by a car and carried on its bonnet for 10 metres before being thrown head first onto the road.

Ewan Moyes, 23, was walking home from a night with friends in Aberdeen when the horror car smash happened on Saturday.

Picture: HeMedia

Picture: HeMedia

He was rushed to hospital, but is now back home with just cuts and bruises – and hoping to make the line up in his team’s season opener against Rangers next month.

Recovering at his Aberdeen home, the defender admitted he was “very lucky” the crash in Holburn Street had not finished his playing days.

He said: “I’d been doing a hard training session with the club in the morning.

“Then I worked for four hours at David Lloyd Leisure in Aberdeen before popping into a friend’s flat warming for a few hours.

“I had a couple of beers but I wasn’t drinking heavily and was walking into town to go back home because I was so tired.

“My memory’s a bit vague after the accident but I don’t remember seeing the car until it was too late.

“I jumped just at the point of impact and my elbow went through the windscreen and it travelled for about 10 metres with me on the bonnet.

“I then flew off the car and landed on my nose.”

Ewan received 12 stitches to a laceration on his back and his nose needed to be glued. He also had several cuts to his arms.

He said: “I’m so thankful there were no leg injuries and no break because I was immediately panicking about being able to play football.”

Brechin City boss Ray McKinnon said he was relieved initial fears that Moyes was seriously injured thankfully proved unfounded.

He said: “I couldn’t believe it when I heard the news and it was a big shock.

“He had a lot of glass down one side of him that they had to pick out and to start with, he feared he had smashed his ankle.

“Thankfully, though, there is no serious damage.

“It is incredible that he has got off relatively lightly and I am really relieved he is OK.”