Thai boys shown recovering in hospital after '˜miracle' rescue

The Thai hospital where the 12 boys and their soccer coach are recuperating after being rescued from a flooded cave has released video showing them in their hospital beds, chatting with nurses and making two-finger victory signs.

This photo grab shows members of the "Wild Boars" football team being treated at a hospital in Chiang Rai. Picture: Getty Images

The video shows the boys in an isolation ward in beds with crisp white sheets and wearing green surgical masks.

Some of their parents are seen crying and waving to them from behind glass.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read More

Read More
UK Government gives £5m for Novichok nerve agent attacks
Three of the 12 boys are seen recovering in their hospital beds after being rescued along with their coach from a flooded cave in Mae Sai, Chiang Rai province, northern Thailand. Picture: Thailand Government Spokesman Bureau via AP

Chaiwetch Thanapaisal, director of Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital, told a news conference with officials involved in the rescue that “everyone is strong in mind and heart”.

The Thai boys saved from a flooded cave endured dives in zero visibility lasting up to half an hour.

In places, they were put into harnesses and high lined across rocky caverns, said a leader of the US contingent involved in the operation, calling it a “once-in-a-lifetime rescue”.

Derek Anderson, a 32-year-old rescue specialist with the US Air Force based in Okinawa, Japan, said the dozen boys, ranging in age from 11 to 16, and their coach, who were trapped for more than two weeks before being rescued this week, were “incredibly resilient”.

One of the members of the "Wild Boars" team being moved on a stretcher during the rescue operation at Tham Luang cave in Khun Nam Nang Non Forest Park in Mae Sai district. Picture: Getty Images

“What was really important was the coach and the boys all came together and discussed staying strong, having the will to live, having the will to survive,” Mr Anderson said.

The scale of the challenge confronting rescuers from Thailand, Britain, Australia and other countries only truly dawned on the US team after it arrived at the cave in the early hours of 28 June as rain poured down on the region in northern Thailand. The Thai government had requested US assistance.

“The cave was dry when we arrived and within an hour-and-a-half it had already filled up by 2 to 3 feet and we were being pushed out,” Mr Anderson said.

“That was just in the very beginning of the cave and at that point we realised this problem is going to be much more complex than we thought.”

Members of the "Wild Boars" football team being treated at a hospital in Chiang Rai. Picture: Getty Images

Thailand’s decision to dive the boys out despite their weak condition and lack of diving experience was made when a window of opportunity was provided by relatively mild weather.

A massive operation to pump water out also meant air pockets were created at crucial points of the cave, making a rescue possible.

Falling oxygen levels, risk of sickness and the imminent prospect of more rain flooding the cave complex for months meant “the long-term survivability of the boys in the cave was becoming a less and less feasible option”, Mr Anderson said.

Commander Chaiyananta Peeranarong, a former Thai Navy SEAL who took park in the rescue operation for the 12 boys and their football coach at Tham Luang cave and was the last diver out of the cave, speaks during an interview at Chiang Rai airport. Picture: Getty Images

Divers practiced their rescue techniques in a swimming pool with local children about the same height and weight as the members of the Wild Boars soccer team trapped in the cave.

The aim, Mr Anderson said, was to make each of the boys “tightly packaged”, so divers could keep control of them and adjust their air supply as needed. The process lasted hours for each boy and involved them getting through long passageways barely bigger than an adult body.

Buoyancy compensators that establish neutral buoyancy underwater, hooded wetsuits, bungee cords and special face masks were carried by divers to the cramped patch of dry elevated ground where the boys were huddled.

The positive pressure masks were “really crucial”, Mr Anderson said. Their use meant that even if a boy panicked - perhaps because of getting snagged in a narrow passage - and got water inside his mask, the pressure would expel it.

The complicated operation to bring the boys out of the cave started on Sunday when four were extracted. Four more were brought out on Monday and the operation ended yesterday with the rescue of the last four boys and their 25-year-old coach.

The 18-day ordeal riveted much of the world - from the awful news that the 13 were missing to the first flickering video of the huddle of anxious yet smiling boys when they were found by a pair of British divers nearly ten days later.

The group had entered the sprawling Tham Luang cave to go exploring after soccer practice on 23 June, but monsoon rains filled the tight passageways, blocking their escape, and pushing them deeper inside in search of a refuge.

Initial attempts to locate the boys were twice unsuccessful because the force of cold hypothermia-inducing floodwaters rushing into narrow passages made them unpassable. Even as conditions improved and divers began laying life-saving rope guidelines through the cave, it was perilous.

“In this type of cave diving, you have to lay line, rope, that’s your lifeline,” Mr Anderson said. “You have to ensure when you go in, you have a way out. They were making progress, but it was very little progress and they were exhausting themselves spending maybe five or six hours and covering 40 or 50m.”

There were about a hundred people inside the cave for each rescue operation, Mr Anderson said. Each boy was handled by dozens of people as their perilous movement through a total of nine chambers unfolded.

In some phases they were guided by two divers. In some narrow passages they were connected to only one diver. In caverns with air pockets they were “floated” through with the support of four rescuers. Some sections were completely dry, but treacherously rocky or deep.

“We had to set up rope systems and high-lines to be able to safely put them in a harness and bring them across large open areas, so they wouldn’t have to go all the way down,” Mr Anderson said.

Cylinders placed at locations throughout the cave for replenishing the boys’ air supply were “jammed”, with 80 per cent oxygen instead of regular air because “that would plus up their oxygen saturation levels and that would be really good for them, their mental state”, he said.

“The world just needs to know that what was accomplished was a once-in-a-lifetime rescue that I think has never been done before,” Mr Anderson said. “We were extremely fortunate that the outcome was the way it was. It’s important to realize how complex and how many pieces of this puzzle had to come together.”