Son on ‘legal high’ jailed for trying to stab father to death

The High Court in Edinburgh. Picture: TSPL
The High Court in Edinburgh. Picture: TSPL
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN who tried to murder his ill father in an unprovoked knife attack after a drug-induced psychotic episode from a “legal high” was jailed for four years yesterday.

Christopher Tait repeatedly wounded his father Gordon, who suffers from multiple sclerosis, after launching the attack as he was sleeping.

A court heard that Tait, 27, did not speak to his father during the attack but “stared right through him”.

Defence counsel Tony Graham told a judge that he often had to deal with the consequences of controlled drugs but in this case he was dealing with someone who had abused “a so-called legal high”.

The drug had been sourced in Spain over the internet and bought for £27.

Tait earlier admitted trying to murder his 55-year-old father at his home in Knightswood, Glasgow, on 4 March this year by repeatedly striking him with a knife.

The court heard that the father had wakened to find his son standing over him. He started to lash out at Mr Tait, who realised his son was stabbing him with a knife.

The victim tried to defend himself and ward off his attacker but the assault continued.

Advocate depute Bill McVicar told the court: “According to the victim, the accused did not speak to him during this attack but was making a loud continuous sound throughout.

“The victim was in fear of his life and managed to struggle out of his bed and tried to defend himself. At this time he noticed he was covered in blood,” he said.

Tait then left the bedroom and the victim struggled over to a window and began shouting for help. But moments later, Tait returned still armed with the knife and attacked again.

His father grabbed the knife and shouted at his son: “Christopher, you are killing me.”

“The accused again did not speak during this second attack. According to the victim the accused stared right through him,” the prosecutor said.

Neighbours managed to force the front door of the house and went to the aid of the victim. Tait appeared to be asleep on his bed.

“In essence, this case deals with the mind-altering properties which are available for essentially the same as a bottle of spirits,” he said.

The defence counsel said of Tait: “He understands that intoxication cannot excuse the criminality.”

Lord Turnbull said at the High Court in Edinburgh: “As someone who willingly ingested this substance, you must take responsibility for your behaviour under its influence.”

The judge ordered that in addition to the prison term Tait should be under supervision for a further two years during which he may have to undertake counselling.