Sheku Bayoh death report sent to Crown Office

Sheku Bayoh. Picture: Hemedia
Sheku Bayoh. Picture: Hemedia
Have your say

A REPORT has been submitted to prosecutors in connection with the death of a man in police custody in Fife earlier this year.

Sheku Bayoh, 31, died following an incident in Kirkcaldy during which a female officer was also injured.

Bayoh family have raised 53 separate points of concerns

Lawyer Aamer Anwar

The Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (Pirc) said the Lord Advocate was now considering an interim report on the incident.

A spokesman said: “The Pirc has now submitted an interim report to the Crown Office on its independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death of Sheku Bayoh on 3 May 2015.

“The commissioner will continue to pursue further expert evidence in relation to the cause of death and is working closely with the Crown Office in this regard.”

Mr Bayoh, a father of two who was originally from Sierra Leone, lived with his partner and worked for British Gas.

Aamer Anwar, a lawyer for the Bayoh family, said: “It has been clear for some time that Pirc lacks the necessary powers to hold Police Scotland to account, as well as being able to robustly scrutinise and investigate the death of Sheku Bayoh.

“Furthermore, the Bayoh family have raised 53 separate points of concerns in a letter to the Commissioner and Lord Advocate on 31 July which they expect to be addressed before any report can be finalised.”

He added: “On a daily basis information continues to be provided in relation to the death and the family urges others who have important information to come forward and contact Pirc in order that justice can be seen to be done.

“Sadly the devastating experience of having a much loved relative die in custody has been made all the worse by the experience of the investigation process especially in the aftermath of Sheku’s death, but his family refuse to be silenced until they have the truth.”

Earlier this week it was revealed that the police officer who was involved in the incident that led to the death of Mr Bayoh was “too unwell to stand trial” on data protection charges,

A court heard that Nicole Short had been badly hurt and had “feared for her life” in the incident with Mr Bayoh.

Ms Short had been due to appear for trial at Kirkcaldy Sheriff Court next month accused of illegally accessing information on the police computer system.

Police Federation bosses say she suffered “significant” injuries during the incident that led to the 31-year-old’s death.

A pre-trial hearing had been due to be held this week in the officer’s unrelated case.

However, in a last-minute switch, lawyers acting on her behalf had the case “accelerated” with the agreement of prosecutors.

PC Short, who has pleaded not guilty, will now stand trial on 21 December.