Sheku Bayoh death: Mikaeel’s father denies fight

Mikaeel Kular's father denies fighting with Sheku Bayoh before his death in police custody. Picture: PA
Mikaeel Kular's father denies fighting with Sheku Bayoh before his death in police custody. Picture: PA
Share this article
Have your say

The father of tragic toddler Mikaeel Kular has broken his silence over claims he fought with his best friend, Sheku Bayoh, in the early hours before he died.

Zahid Saeed, who lost his three-year-old son last January, said claims suggesting he might have caused the injuries found on his friend’s body are “lies, terrible lies”. In an interview he said: “I am devastated and very angry.

“Sheku was always there for me. I just wish I could have been there for him.”

Mr Bayoh was pronounced dead on May 3 after being restrained by nine police officers, who used batons and CS spray to control him. He had been reported to police early in the morning by a taxi driver for brandishing a knife.

According to a post mortem, it was revealed Sheku had taken ecstasy beforehand.

But his best friend Mr Saeed has now detailed the events of May 2, the night before he died.

He said they had both attended Mr Bayoh’s niece’s birthday party. They left the house in Kirkcaldy at around 10pm, to go to one of their friend’s houses to watch the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao title fight. But as the night wore on, Mr Bayoh began “acting out of character” and eventually left the friend’s house, according to 31-year-old Mr Saeed.

He said: “I was concerned and followed him shortly after. It’s the only time I’ve seen Sheku act in such a way. People may question this but it is simply the truth.

“I caught up with Sheku at his house and I tried to calm him and he lashed out at me.

“It appeared as if he was scared or upset. He punched me a few times but I did not hit him once and am extremely angry at any suggestion or inference that I did.

“It is an attempt to plant a seed in people’s minds that the main injuries found on Sheku’s face, head and body could have been caused by something other than his contact with the police.

“I left Sheku’s house at about 6.30am to go back to Methil and that is the last time I saw him.”

Mr Saeed said Mr Bayoh had supported him following the death of Mikaeel, who was killed by his mother, Rosdeep Adekoya, at home in Edinburgh last January. His body was later discovered near a relative’s home 20 miles away in Kirkcaldy. She was jailed for 11 years.