Schoolboy attacked by intruders

POLICE are investigating after a 15-year-old pupil was attacked by a gang in the grounds of his own school in front of staff members.

• Royal High School has been locking its gates since intruders were spotted on CCTV

The boy was assaulted in the playground at Royal High School by three attackers who pounced on him during yesterday's lunch break, prompting new security fears about intruders on school grounds.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The three attackers, each believed to be aged around 15, came on to the grounds at around 1.20pm and assaulted the pupil in front of staff.

The staff members ran over to intervene but the suspects quickly fled from the area. The victim, who is a fourth-year pupil, was not badly hurt and did not require hospital treatment after the attack.

Police are said to be following a "positive line of inquiry" although no arrests have been made.

The violence came only days after Royal High's headteacher, Jane Frith, decided to lock its gate during school hours after "intruders" were spotted on the school's CCTV. Some bikes inside the school grounds had been damaged.

Council chiefs said security at the East Barnton Avenue school had been tightened following the recent security breach, but the gang attack had taken place during lunchtime when the gates were re-opened.

The local authority added that school bosses planned to "look closely" at the incident to determine whether further precautions were needed.

Police officers monitored the school grounds when classes ended yesterday, but no further incidents took place.

A police spokeswoman said: "We were called to Royal High School at around 1.20pm yesterday after reports that a pupil had been assaulted.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"Inquiries are continuing into the incident and we would appeal to anyone with information to come forward."

Both staff and pupils are understood to have given police descriptions of the trio who committed the assault.

A city council spokesman said: "We can confirm that three young people were reported to the police. The school has recently tightened security but unfortunately these individuals entered the grounds at lunchtime. School management plan to look closely at the incident and to work with the police to ensure all pupils are as safe as possible."

Last week, the Evening News reported the headteacher's decision to lock the gate after the intrusions.

In a message to staff and pupils, Ms Frith said: "Could staff and pupils please note that in the last week or so intruders have been in the school grounds on at least two occasions and damage has been caused to bicycles. The police have been informed.

"If anyone notices intruders in the grounds, inform a senior member of staff or one of the janitors straight away."

Comment - Page 18