Russian roulette death: Police probe launched

Picture: TSPL
Picture: TSPL
Share this article
Have your say

POLICE are investigating the death of a man who had apparently been playing Russian roulette.

• A father of three is believed to have died after playing Russian roulette with a friend

• Alan McWilliams, 41, died of serious injuries the day after being admitted to hospital

Emergency services were called to a house on Hogg Avenue in Johnstone, Renfrewshire, on Saturday following a “firearms” incident.

Alan McWilliams, 41, was found seriously injured and taken to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow for treatment but died on Sunday.

Armed officers descended on the house and a police helicopter was also sent to the scene of the suspected shooting.

A neighbour to the dead man is reported to have said that Mr McWilliams had been “playing Russian roulette with a pal and the gun went off”.

However, Strathclyde Police said they were still treating the death as “unexplained”, and are investigating the circumstances that led to it.

A spokesman said: “Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries following the death of a man in Johnstone at the weekend.

“Around 8.30pm on Saturday March 2 2013, officers were called to a report of a man with a firearm within a house in Hogg Avenue, Johnstone.

“Emergency services attended and the 41-year-old man was taken to the Southern General Hospital. Unfortunately, the man died in hospital on Sunday.

“A post-mortem examination will be carried out later today to establish the exact circumstances of the death and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.”

The deadly game involves a participant aiming a gun loaded with a single bullet at their head and pulling the trigger. If they survive, the gun is passed on to the next participant.

Mr McWilliam’s family today told of their grief and paid tribute to him.

On a Facebook page set up by his partner Andrea Henderson, the couple’s daughter Lisa posted: “Glad I got to stay with you until the end and hold your hand.

“Still hasn’t sunk in, devastated. Rip dad love you lots.”

His other daughter Keri added: “Missing you more than words can say, totally broke.

“Hasn’t hit me, feels like I am just waiting on you to phone me and give me in to trouble.

“Nothing is going to be the same without you, but you will never be forgotten.

“Rest in peace up there big guy.”

Police were today continuing to carry out door-to-door inquiries to establish what happened in the moments leading up to the shooting.

A local resident said: “Nobody heard a gunshot but there have been loads of rumours about what happened.

“People are saying that it was a game of Russian roulette gone wrong but others say that it was an accidental death.”

It was also reported that in April last year, Mr McWilliams and his family were forced to escape their house during the early hours of the morning after an unknown individual hurled a firebomb through a window.

The bleach-filled beer bottle was thrown through a living room window, smashing it. Mr McWilliams and his two daughters managed to escape the firebomb attack, though he suffered burns as he attempted to extinguish the fire.

Police at the time treated the incident as attempted murder.

A spokeswoman for Strathclyde Police said: “Detectives are still carrying out extensive inquiries following the death of a man in Johnstone at the weekend. Investigations are ongoing.”