RESCUERS have pulled a man out alive after he was buried for more than 60 hours in a massive landslide in southern China.
Rao Liangzhong, of the Shenzhen Emergency Response Office, said that a migrant worker, Tian Zeming, was rescued around dawn local time yesterday. No other details were immediately known.
The survivor had a very feeble voice and pulse when he was found alive buried under debris”DR WANG YIGUO
The landslide happened on Sunday when a mountain of construction waste material collapsed and flowed into an industrial park in Shenzhen.
“The survivor had a very feeble voice and pulse when he was found alive buried under debris, and now he’s undergoing further checks,” Dr Wang Yiguo told a news conference in Shenzhen.
When they found him, Tian, from Chongqing in south-western China, told rescuers his name and that there was another person buried near him.
Neurosurgeon Dai Limeng told the news conference he had gone into the rubble and confirmed that the second person had not survived. More than 70 people are still missing from the landslide.
The Ministry of Land and Resources has said a steep man-made mountain of dirt, cement chunks and other construction waste had been piled up against a 330ft-high hill over the past two years.
Heavy rains saturated the soil, making it heavy and unstable, and ultimately causing it to collapse with massive force in and around an industrial park.
State media reported that the New Guangming District government identified problems with the mountain of soil months earlier.
Reports said a district government report in January warned of a “catastrophe”. Under pressure from the media, officials allowed about 30 journalists, mostly from foreign outlets, to approach an edge of the disaster area.
Flanked by police, reporters could observe military posts with computers and disease control stations set up for the rescue workers.
Shenzhen is a major manufacturing centre, making everything from mobile phones to cars.