THE Scottish Government’s greener campaign has provided these seasonal recipes to get you in the mood for summer.
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry (serves 4)
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
400g sirloin steak, all fat removed and sliced into finger sized pieces (frying steak can be used as a cheaper alternative)
2 garlic cloves, sliced
Thumb-sized piece root ginger (about 10g) - shredded
1 red chilli - shredded
1 red chilli - sliced
4 spring onions - shredded
200g broccoli , blanched and halved lengthways
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1. Blanch the broccoli by placing in a pan of boiling water for approx 90 seconds or until just about cooked, remove from pan with slotted spoon, then place in a bowl of iced water for 30 seconds to stop the cooking process- set aside until needed.
2. Cook the rice (65g per person) or the noodles (usually 1 sheet dried noodles per person) in accordance to the instructions on packets.
3. Heat 1 tbsp rapeseed oil in a pan or wok and stir-fry the beef for a couple of minutes. Scoop out the beef and set aside, then add the garlic, ginger, shredded chilli and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Add the beef back in with the broccoli, soy and 1 tsp sesame oil. Cook for 2 minutes then serve topped with the sliced chilli.
5. Serve with boiled rice or noodles.
Summer Tortilla with Tomato Salsa (serves 4)
500g new potatoes
1 onion , preferably white
2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
3 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
6 free-range eggs
Pinch of salt
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Parboil new potatoes for 15/20 mins, leaving the skins on if you prefer.
2. Cut them into thick slices and chop the onion.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and add onions, fry to soften. Add the potatoes to the onion then heat gently, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are softened.
4. Beat the eggs separately, then stir into the potatoes with the parsley and a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. Lightly oil a small frying pan with 1 tbsp of oil then add contents into the pan and cook on a low heat.
6. When almost set, place pan under grill and brown.
7. Slide on to a plate and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
3 tomatoes, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
1 small bunch of chives, finely sliced
2 tablespoons of rapeseed oil
Pinch of salt and pepper to season