Defence Secretary Michael Fallon announced today that eight sites in Scotland would close as part of a £4 billion plan to invest in a better defence estate for Britain’s Armed Forces.
Overall, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) will release 91 of the most expensive sites as part of the review, including eight sites north of the border.
The surplus sites in Scotland earmarked for closure are as follows:
• Condor Airfield – estimated disposal 2020
• Forthside Stirling – estimated disposal 2022
• MOD Caledonia – estimated disposal 2022
• Craigiehall – estimated disposal 2018
• Redford Cavalry Barracks and Redford Infantry Barracks – estimated disposal 2022
• Fort George – estimated disposal 2032
• Glencorse Barracks – estimated disposal 2032
READ MORE: Why was Fort George built?