Police probe mystery death of boy aged 2 in Fife

POLICE are investigating the “unexplained” death of a two-year-old boy who died in a “tragic set of circumstances” at the family home.

Childrens toys and flowers left outside the flat in Thornton, Fife. Pictures: Phil Wilkinson

The toddler is believed to have been discovered by his mother’s partner at around 8pm on Saturday in the village of Thornton, near Glenrothes, Fife. Officers are understood to be looking into the possibility that another child may have been involved in the incident at the flat in Donald Crescent. They are not seeking anyone in connection with the death.

Speaking outside divisional headquarters in Glenrothes yesterday, Superintendent Dougie Milton said: “We’re investigating the very sad death of a two-year-old boy at an address in Thornton.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“It is an unexplained death. He was within the house at the time and we are now examining the full circumstances to establish what’s occurred.

“It’s the early stages of the investigation. What I can say is that we’re not seeking anybody else with regard to this investigation and so I can reassure the community.

“It’s a tragic and devastating set of circumstances for the family. We are working very closely with the family. We have family liaison officers with them just to establish exactly what has occurred.”

Supt Milton said the identity of the boy would not be released until a post-mortem examination could be carried out.

“There will be a post-mortem examination later in the week, probably Monday or Tuesday and that will inform us more about the cause of death,” he added.

“It would be unfair at this time, and not right, to speculate about the cause of death.”

Police were called to the flat by the ambulance service. It is understood the boy’s body was found in the bedroom of the home he shares with his mother, her partner and their twin seven-year-old boys.

There remained a police presence at the flat yesterday afternoon as neighbours began to leave flowers and teddy bears in the front garden.

One neighbour, who asked not to be named, said the couple had moved to the village from Newcastle about three years ago. “They are two girls, a civil partnership, in their late 20s,” she said.

“The police were asking about our whereabouts from about 3pm [on Saturday]. It’s really worrying. I didn’t think the girls were in the flat, but it seems really strange if the wee one was found there. They’re nice enough girls and I don’t think they would leave the wee one.”

Another resident said: “I used to see them all the time while I was walking my dog and they were heading off to school.

“The kids were always polite, really well behaved, well-dressed and they looked like really good parents. Never shouting or swearing around them. There’s obviously been an accident. It’s absolutely tragic.”

Police said that, as with all deaths, a report would be submitted to the procurator-fiscal.