A Scottish teacher accidentally killed herself with a lethal overdose after she swallowed a bag of cocaine in a first class airport lounge whilst waiting to fly home to Dubai.
Expat Victoria Buchanan, 42, ingested the resealable bag when it is thought she realised she still had the drug in her possession whilst drinking a glass of champagne after she checked in with her luggage.
The mother of three had earlier acquired £200 worth of the Class A drug during a family visit to the UK with her husband Mark a shipping company boss.
She had £60 worth of cocaine left when she decided to swallow it - and moments later she collapsed with a severe seizure when the bag burst in her stomach.
Onlookers at Manchester Airport initially believed Mrs Buchanan was having an anaphylactic shock and administered an epipen she had in her handbag for a palm oil allergy but died later at Wythenshawe Hospital.
The bag of cocaine was discovered during a post-mortem. Her elderly parents knew nothing of her drug taking.
Mrs Buchanan, originally from Kilmarnock, had moved to Dubai in 2010 and worked as a teacher in the United Arab Emirates whilst her husband was believed to be head of fleet personnel for a shipping firm. She was known for helping impoverished children in Nepal through a charity set up to improve their education.
An inquest heard the tragedy occurred on March 29 last year Mrs Buchanan had spent a week in Britain with her family as part of her annual visit to the UK. Her husband told the Manchester hearing: ''We were aware she would take small amounts of cocaine occasionally and it was something we did together, I had left the UK a few days before not a lot was left not that that matters now.
"If somebody had asked her to smuggle the cocaine she would have refused. She wasn't in a position to be blackmailed. I can say that 100 per cent, it wasn't the intention. I definitely didn't ask her to bring it back, I spoke to the police and we agreed it was the same bag, it originally cost about £200 and there was maybe £50 or £60 left in it."
In a statement Dr Jon Hopper of Wythenshawe Hospital said: "Miss Buchanan was brought by the ambulance at 2.34pm following a cardiac arrest at Manchester Airport. She had been seen taking an epipen and it was confirmed by the ambulance and response team that basic life support had commenced on the scene.
''The cardiac arrest lasted for one hour she remained unconscious at the hospital with no response to stimulus, she had a recorded allergy to palm oil but she previously required an admission, she reached a critical condition and her family were informed that this was a tragic and irretrievable situation.
"She was a 42 year old woman who lived with her husband and children in Dubai and had recently been at home to visit the UK she was at Manchester airport in the aspire hospitality lounge she had been seen sitting in a chair drinking champagne when she collapsed.
''Onlookers thought she was intoxicated but then she started having a fit and an off duty nurse searched through her handbag and called her husband who told her an epipen was in her bag as she had had previous reactions to palm oil.
''She died at 6.24pm on March 30. During her post-mortem a plastic resealable bag was found in her stomach and it was ruled that further examination was required."
A toxicology report read to the inquest showed amounts of cocaine at less than 0.4 milligram per litre of blood which is 'consistent with recreational use.' But the levels of cocaine metabolic benzoylecgonine at much higher which is consistent with 'excessive' use.
The report added: "The obvious conclusion is that she ingested the bag and then collapsed from the level of cocaine which leaked into the stomach. The bag was large 10 x 6cm there is no other explanation as to how it got into the stomach, there is no evidence that she suffered from an allergic reaction.
Det Sgt Alex Wild of Greater Manchester Police said: "I would say it is a medium sized bag I would say containing two or three grams but it is not always the case that the bags are full, we watched her on CCTV there was no suggestion she was approached.
''The toxicity in the blood indicated that cocaine had been taken and the likelihood was that it came from the bag that leaked into her stomach this required us to conduct a criminal investigation.
"There was no third party involvement that was the conclusion there were no charges brought or further actions taken."
Mrs Buchanan's mother Irene Dignon who in her 70s said: "We couldn't understand why she would risk something for such a small amount - we couldn't understand that. There was no evidence of anything like drugs with her - she was always so anti them.
''She was always so upbeat I wouldn't have thought she needed them, it's a different world."
Mrs Buchanan's father James added: "We had no suspicion of any drug taking."
Recording a conclusion of death by misadventure assistant coroner Andrew Bridge said: "Mrs Buchanan's husband went back earlier and her flight was planned for the March 29. They were recreational users of cocaine but clearly not in Dubai given the strict regime in that country.
''They purchased a bag of cocaine which Mark Buchanan suggests was about £200 and 4 grams. Most of the cocaine was used but his evidence was that he told her to get rid of the rest of it. This was probably between one or two grams valued at £60 or £50 but it appears she ignored him.
"On the March 29 while waiting for her return flight she collapsed in the first class lounge at Manchester Airport and went into a cardiac arrest and was taken to Wythenshawe hospital. She died in hospital the following day.
"A post-mortem examination was carried out and the doctor found a resealable plastic bag in her stomach so a second post mortem was carried out and post death bloods indicated ingestion of high levels of cocaine prior to death, known effects are that it can cause seizures, cardiac arrest and a number of other fatal conditions,
"Analysis of the bag showed that it's contents were cocaine. It appears that the cocaine that was in the bag which was left after recreational use with Mark earlier that week, on that basis the cause of death is brain damage caused by cardiac arrest which was caused by cocaine intoxication.
"The only known source of that cocaine was from that contents within the bag swallowed by Victoria with the intention of taking the remaining cocaine back to Dubai. Why she took such a risk will never be known but I'm satisfied it was done of her own volition and there was no coercion or threat, there was no criminal activity and no charges have been brought.
"I have no understanding of why Victoria would wish to have smuggled cocaine or why she would take the risks of doing so my conclusion of how she came by her death is one of misadventure.
"I give you my sympathies for the sad loss of your wife and your daughter - my question is what on earth was she thinking?"