“I'll chum your gran out getting her messages” - New Edinburgh university students get guide to city slang

Students arriving in Edinburgh have been given 10 essential slang words to help them blend in with the locals. PIC: Creative Commons/Flickr/Markus Trienke.
Students arriving in Edinburgh have been given 10 essential slang words to help them blend in with the locals. PIC: Creative Commons/Flickr/Markus Trienke.
Share this article
0
Have your say

With thousands of new students arriving in the capital to start university and college, a little guidance is being given on how to blend in with the locals.

Language experts, from poets to academics, have come together to draw up a local dialect course to help orientate students and help them blend in with their new surroundings.

The guide has been published on learning site Quizlet.

READ MORE: 21 words you'll know if your granny is from Scotland

For those arriving in Edinburgh, 10 essential words - and how to use them - have been selected for the new arrivals.

They are:

1. Shan - terrible

“Heard you broke your leg - that's so shan”

2. Radge - wild, crazy, violent

“Stop being so radge!”

3. Chum - to accompany

“I'll chum you down the street”

4. Reekin' - very drunk

“Ah wiz pure reekin last night”

5. Boak - vomit/disgusting

“I boaked everywhere” or “That's pure boke”

6. Barry - good

“I've won a lifetime supply of Irn-Bru? Barry!”

7. Ken - to know

“Aye, I ken him and his wee dug”

8. Messages - Items to purchase from the local shop

“I'll chum your gran out getting her messages”

9. Spraff - to gossip, talk non-stop

“He's spraffing away”

10. Piece
Definition: A sandwich or snack

Research by Quizlet found that nearly half of students don’t use or understand any local dialect words.

Of just over 1,000 students asked, 51% said they ‘often’ or ‘sometimes’ use local dialect or phrases, but the other 49% said they ‘rarely’ or ‘never’ do.

READ MORE: 28 more words you'll know if your grandpa is from Scotland

Richard Gregory, VP of International at Quizlet, comments: “Many of us will remember how nerve-wracking those initial university days are.

"Dozens of faces and names to remember, all in the backdrop of a new city. We created this resource to try and mitigate those university jitters: teaching students about their new surroundings through the important pillars of language and culture.

"The relationship between students and the local population can sometimes be a challenge, and that’s why all these language experts wanted to get on board to help us bridge linguistic divides.”