Hands caked in ink, sleeves rolled up to the elbows, hardworking Evening News staff heave piles of papers as they roll hot off the press.
Back in the machine room at the title’s North Bridge offices in October 1964, this was where a first glimpse of the day’s breaking news was seen, before the paper was rushed off across the Capital for sale.
This week our historic Edinburgh newspaper was relaunched, offering more content in a new-look format to loyal readers who have followed the title for many, many years.
And with that is an opportunity to reflect on how much the production of the paper has changed, from its former location on North Bridge to its present home in Holyrood Road.
It was in the editorial department at North Bridge – as pictured here in February 1987 – that our dedicated team of reporters would bash away furiously at typewriters to hit tight copy deadlines. Computers were a thing of the future, while the internet phenomenons of Facebook and Twitter could surely only existence in another universe.
Indeed, the paper has come a long way since its first ever edition on May 27, 1873, covering huge stories of international significance as well as consistently delivering on the local content our readers rely on every day.
Back in 1973, the Evening News took to the streets of Edinburgh to pay thanks to its loyal readership in a centenary parade.
Starting in George Square and weaving through the city to the Grassmarket, five pipe and two brass bands provided a musical backdrop for the carnival celebrations which included a cavalcade procession made up of floats showing the development of the city since 1873.