Nat Fraser prison term extended for hiding phone

Nat Fraser has had four months added to his life sentence. Picture: TSPL
Nat Fraser has had four months added to his life sentence. Picture: TSPL
Share this article
Have your say

Convicted killer Nat Fraser had four months added to his life sentence today – for having a phone in prison.

Livingston Sheriff Court heard he hid the mobile in his buttocks to avoid it being found.

But when he turned his back on prison officers who were searching his cell at Addiewell prison in West Lothian they spotted the device sticking out of his rear end.

Fraser, 54, pled guilty to being in possession of the illegal mobile at the privately-run prison during the search on October 10 this year.

The court heard that the lifer – who is serving a 25-year sentence for murdering his wife Arlene – was snared in a “targeted search”.

Stuart Houston, prosecuting, said three prison officers were asked to search Cell 31 in the jail’s Forth Charlie Wing, where Fraser is imprisoned.

He said: “They entered the cell and saw the accused lying on his bed with no clothes on.

“He was given a dressing gown to put on then he was asked to stand at the cell door in order to observe the search.”

Mr Houston said officers asked Fraser if he had anything in his possession or in the cell which he shouldn’t have and he replied that he didn’t.

He went on: “The accused opened his dressing gown and was advised to put on a pair of shorts in order to carry out the search in a proper manner.

“He appeared reluctant to do so and stated he didn’t have anything.

“He opened his dressing gown and turned round where the prison officers observed a mobile phone concealed within his buttocks.

“He was asked to hand over the item to which he stated he didn’t have anything.

“He then moved to the rear of the cell where he removed the mobile telephone from his buttocks and was about to remove the phone from the cover when he was prevented from doing so.”

Becky Houston, defending, said the 17-year punishment part of Fraser’s life sentence had been imposed in June 2011.

She said: “Mr Fraser has already served eight years in relation to the same matter.

“He fully accepts he shouldn’t have had a mobile phone in his possession and has pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.”

She asked the court to take into account the length of sentence Fraser was currently serving.

Sheriff Graeme Fleming QC told Fraser: “There are good and well known reasons why mobile phones are prohibited in prison.”

He said he had discounted the sentence from six months to four months because of the early stage at which Fraser pled guilty.

He added that prison term would be consecutive to the punishment part of the sentence he was serving.