Murder hunt as man dies after street attack in Perth

Share this article
Have your say

DETECTIVES launched a murder hunt yesterday after a man who was badly beaten and stabbed died in hospital.

William Reid was found close to his home in Perth during the early hours of yesterday having suffered serious injuries. He died a few hours later.

Friends paid tributes to Reid online last night as an investigation into the circumstances of his death was being carried out by officers from Tayside Police.

Reid, who was found collapsed close to Perth Grammar School in Bute Drive, had been out in the city during Friday evening and was attacked on his way home.

A spokesman for Tayside Police confirmed that the death was being treated as suspicious and that a large-scale inquiry had been launched.

A team of officers carried out door-to-door inquiries in the busy residential area of North Muirton throughout yesterday and the scene was cordoned off.

Online tributes appeared yesterday, with one friend saying: “Will miss you Willie. We always had a laugh together. RIP.”

Another said: “Can’t believe what they done to you. Hope they catch them and lock them up. You never deserved that. Peace.”

A Tayside Police spokesman urged anyone with information about the incident to contact the force on 0300 111 2222, or to speak to any police officer.

He continued: “Emergency services attended at the multi-park, near to Bute Drive in Perth shortly after 4.30am after a man was found lying seriously injured in the area.

“The man, who is believed to be in his late 20s, was taken by ambulance to Perth Royal Infirmary, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

“Tayside Police are treating his death as suspicious and inquiries are ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

“Forensic examination is underway at the scene where the man was found and door-to-door inquiries are under way. Officers are also undertaking a review of CCTV coverage.

“Anyone with information that could assist police inquiries is asked to contact Tayside Police. No further information is available at this time.”