Mum makes fresh appeal to probe daughter's death

Share this article

A GRIEVING parent has flown from Sweden to hand a letter to the Lord Advocate "mother to mother" exactly four years after her daughter was last seen alive.

Guje Borjesson has been investigating the death of her daughter Annie, who lived and worked in the Capital, since she was found washed up on Prestwick beach on 4 December, 2005. She wants the case into the death reopened.

The 30-year-old was last spotted on CCTV at Prestwick Airport at 4:05pm the previous day where she was thought to be catching a flight back to her Swedish home.

But following a post-mortem indicating the cause of death as drowning, police concluded she had either taken her own life or died as the result of an accident.

Her 55-year-old mother travelled to Edinburgh for a meeting with officials at the Crown Office yesterday before handing over the letter to Lord Advocate Elish Angiolini QC at exactly 4:05pm.

The letter urged Ms Angiolini to look again at "suspicious events" surroundings the death of Ms Borjesson, who had been working at the Scottish Whisky Heritage Centre on the Royal Mile and living at Linton Court Apartments in Murieston Road.

Mrs Borjesson appealed to the Lord Advocate to give the case to a new specialist unit being set up by the Crown Office from early next year.

The unit will have access to highly-trained specialists to probe some of the 13,000 sudden and unexplained deaths that happen in Scotland each year.

Among the issues raised at the meeting were CCTV images which show Ms Borjesson wearing a fleece top which was not found on the body, and other missing items such as her address book.

They also called for a new police probe of the "16-hour gap" between the last sighting at the airport and the body being found to trace her movements.

Mrs Borjesson said: "We have been to the beach at Prestwick and spoken to locals who say there are always people walking or taking their dogs out even when it is bad weather. The police never did a full investigation of those 16 hours to see if anyone had seen Annie.

"The fleece top and the Filofax were also missing. Where did they go? I believe we deserve the right for these questions to be looked at properly. How can we grieve without these answers?"

Mrs Borjesson is writing a book about her investigation into her daughter's death, and she visited Prestwick again this week.

She added: "The new unit being set up obviously shows that the Lord Advocate doesn't think the current system is good enough.

"I have written to her, mother to mother, to ask if this unit can investigate Annie's case. I have repeatedly requested a fatal accident inquiry. Hopefully she will find it in her heart this time."

A Crown Office spokeswoman said: "The death of Annie Borjesson was thoroughly investigated and it was concluded that there were no suspicious circumstances.

"Any new, credible and reliable evidence which comes to light will be considered and we will, of course, continue to keep in touch with Mrs Borjesson."