Mother accused of beating Mikaeel Kular to death

A MOTHER charged with murdering her three-year-old son is accused of beating him to death before putting his body in a suitcase and dumping him, it was reported last night.

Thousands of people joined police in searches for Mikaeel Kular. Picture: Hemedia

Rosdeep Adekoya, 34, is charged with assaulting Mikaeel at her Edinburgh home in January and hiding his body in woodland in Fife. She is said to have punched her son Mikaeel on the head and body, hit his body against a hard object and caused blunt-force trauma injuries to his head and body at the family’s flat in Edinburgh.

Thousands of members of the public turned out to help search for the toddler when he was reported missing earlier this year.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

It is alleged she attempted to defeat the ends of justice by pretending to police he had gone missing, sparking a major search by the emergency services and members of the public.

Adekoya appeared at the High Court in Edinburgh today, where judge Lord Boyd continued the case until July 25 at the request of prosecutors and her defence counsel Brian McConnachie, who said the case had a “number of complexities”.

He said: “It would be of assistance to all parties if the matter was continued at this stage without any plea being tendered.”

Adekoya is accused of punching her son and causing his body to hit against a hard object or inflicting blunt injuries on his head and body at their Ferry Gait Crescent flat between January 12 and 15.

She is alleged to have wrapped Mikaeel’s body in a duvet cover, put it in a suitcase and driven to Dunvegan Avenue in Fife, where prosecutors say she hid the case under a bush in woods behind a house.

She is alleged to have then reported her son missing to police, telling officers he got out of bed and climbed on a stool to unlock the front door of his home.

The charge sheet states Adekoya caused a major search for her son, involving police, the fire service, coastguard, mountain rescue crews and members of the public.

Mikaeel’s body was discovered in Fife on Friday, 17 January, the day after he was reported missing from the home he shared with his twin sister, three other siblings and his mother.

Kular made an initial appearance at Edinburgh Sheriff Court the following Monday.

The beauty therapist made no plea or declaration and was remanded in custody during the brief private hearing.

Following Mikaeel’s disappearance, Police Scotland issued a picture of the toddler and appealed to the public for help in the hunt for him, asking them to check their gardens and sheds for the three-year-old.

Crowds of people took part in major searches of areas, including parks and golf courses, near the family home.

There was a massive outpouring of grief when police held a news conference just before midnight on 17 January to say a boy’s body had been found in an area of woodland behind a house in Kirkcaldy in Fife.

A carpet of floral tributes, soft toys and candles were placed at a small park near his home.

The day after his body was found, many people gathered near his home and near the Forth to release balloons and Chinese lanterns in his memory.

Another vigil was held near his home in May on what would have been his fourth birthday.

It is understood Mikaeel’s twin sister Ashika had a low-key birthday party at the Kirkcaldy home of her aunt Pandeep Kular.

The aunt is also thought to be looking after the boy’s older siblings Tarin, nine, David, seven, and Renika, six.

Plans for a permanent memorial to the toddler are being considered by neighbours.

Robert Pearson, chairman of the Tenants and Residents of Muirhouse group, has told how the youngster’s “spirit continues to shine strongly in the community”.