Milngavie fire killer Blair Logan jailed for 20 years

A devastated young woman said her future has been stolen after her boyfriend’s brother was jailed for 20 years for murdering him by setting fire to them as they slept on New Year’s Day.

Blair Logan poured petrol on his younger brother Cameron, 23, and the bed he was sharing with Rebecca Williams at their family home in Milngavie, East Dunbartonshire.

Blair Logan

Blair Logan

Ms Williams was rescued from the fire and treated in hospital but Cameron died, while his parents were treated for smoke inhalation.

Logan, 27, pleaded guilty to charges of murder and attempted murder last month and was given a life sentence with a minimum of 20 years at the High Court in Edinburgh on Friday.

He also admitted endangering the lives of his parents David and Catherine in the blaze, in which the family dog Gomez was also killed.

The two brothers were said to have had a “hostile” relationship, and Logan told police they had not spoken since the death of their grandmother in 2013.

The 27-year-old admitted pouring petrol “with the intention of maiming or crippling” Cameron, but claimed he did not mean to kill him.

The attack was said to be in retaliation for a recent incident at the house when his brother had punched him.

A computer seized from Logan’s bedroom showed that from October 2016 he had carried out internet searches on burns victims.

Judge Lady Scott said Cameron had died a “horrible death” and that Logan “acted with wicked recklessness”.

His sentence was reduced from 24 years due to his early guilty plea.

Outside court, Ms Williams’ father read a statement on behalf of his daughter describing the devastating impact of the fire.

READ MORE: Blair Logan pleads guilty to Milngavie house fire murder

It read: “Cameron was my best friend and partner.

“He was a caring, respectful and loving man, who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with.

“He had great ambitions to join the police force and was working hard towards building our future together.

“A future that has now been stolen from us.”

On the night of the fire, Cameron and Ms Williams returned to the family home after a New Year party with friends.

An inflatable mattress had been set up for them in the living room and they went to sleep at around 4am.

Just over three hours later, Mrs Logan was woken by the family dog whining and went downstairs, where she saw a figure in dark clothing standing inside the living room, holding something on fire.

He threw it on the bed and then ran out, with Mrs Logan not knowing who it was at the time.

Ms Williams managed to roll on to the floor and crawl out of the room into the kitchen, where she was unable to open the back door, and put her head in the fridge to protect herself from the fire.

Mr Logan senior tried to get into the living room but was beaten back by the intensity of the smoke and flames.

He managed to get out of the house, before he and a neighbour rescued Ms Williams from the kitchen.

She suffered burns to her arms and face and damage to her throat, vocal cords and lungs.

Ms Williams has undergone surgery four times and may not be able to return to work as a broadcast journalist due to her injuries.

The judge in the case said Logan had “robbed her of her voice and her career and of her future with Cameron”.

Outside court Ms Williams said: “The horror of what happened in that room will haunt me forever.

“Cameron died in the most cruel way, in front of my eyes. I can only imagine the pain and suffering he will have experienced in his final moments.

“I wish more than anything that I could have saved him.”

READ MORE: Brother charged with Milngavie house fire murder

Logan, who was a Tesco store assistant, admitted killing his brother during a police interview on January 13.

He told officers: “It was not my intent to kill him but I did do it.”

When charged with the attempted murder of Ms Williams, he said: “I thought she was out of the room.” He added: “I did not wish to murder my parents.”

In mitigation, defence QC Shelagh McCall said Logan had shown genuine remorse and views the murder of his brother as “horrific” and that it cannot be justified.

She told the court that the 27-year-old had attempted suicide in prison and is under high observation.

The judge accepted court reports that Logan has “abnormal personality traits” and features of autism but said there was no suggestion that Logan had a mental disorder and was fully criminally responsible for his actions.

Ms McCall also referred to a letter that Logan’s parents had written to the court which said they “find it extremely difficult to reconcile the Blair they know with the Blair who caused Cameron’s death”.

In passing sentence, Lady Scott said: “I cannot imagine the pain they will forever endure from what you did, losing in effect both of their sons.”