Michael Higdon arrested on assault charge

MOTHERWELL striker Michael Higdon was arrested over an alleged assault at a nightclub in Glasgow, hours after being crowned Scotland’s Player of the Year, it was revealed yesterday.

Motherwell striker Michael Higdon celebrates a strike against Neil Lennon's Celtic. Picture: SNS

The 29-year-old from Liverpool was held in connection with an incident at the Corinthian nightspot It is understood he was allegedly involved in an altercation with a bouncer at the city centre venue.

Higdon was named Professional Footballers’ Association (PFA) Scotland Player of the Year at a ceremony at the Hilton Hotel on Sunday night.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Motherwell said it was aware of the situation.

Picture: SNS

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said yesterday: “A 29-year-old man is the subject of a report to the procurator-fiscal in connection with an alleged assault at a nightclub in Ingram Street in Glasgow at 1:25am today.”

Higdon is the SPL’s top scorer, having netted 26 goals for Stuart McCall’s side. The striker, who joined Motherwell in the summer of 2011, now holds the club’s post-war record for league goals scored. Higdon beat Hibernian’s Leigh Griffiths, Aberdeen’s Niall McGinn and Andrew Shinnie of Inverness to the title.

He was due to meet journalists for a press conference yesterday morning, but the event was postponed at short notice. It is understood he was released from police custody yesterday.

He has described the season as the “best of his career” and credited his success to “confidence, playing in a good team and having a manager who believes in me”.

Higdon started out at Crewe and had spells at Falkirk and St Mirren before joining Motherwell.

In May last year, he scored the winning goal against Hearts at Tynecastle to take his final tally of the season to 16 and secure Champions League football for Motherwell.

Two months later, he made his Champions League debut in a 2-0 qualifying defeat by Panathinaikos.