Hollywood star Kevin Spacey is being investigated by British police over an alleged sexual assault.
It is understood officers from the Met Police’s child abuse and sexual offences command are looking into claims the House Of Cards actor sexually assaulted a man in Lambeth in 2008.
The Met declined to identify the alleged attacker but said in a statement: “On Wednesday, 1 November, City of London Police referred an allegation of sexual assault to the Metropolitan Police Service.
“It is alleged a man assaulted another man in 2008 in Lambeth.
“Officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command are investigating.”
City of London Police confirmed they had referred an allegation of sexual assault from 2008 in Lambeth to Scotland Yard.
• READ MORE: Kevin Spacey ‘taking time to seek treatment’
Last week, allegations against the star, who appeared in Edinburgh in 2013 to give a talk at the James MacTaggart Memorial Lecture, emerged when actor Anthony Rapp claimed Spacey had placed him on a bed and climbed on top of him following a party at his apartment in 1986.
It comes after production was halted on the sixth season of the hit drama days after the historical harassment allegation was made against its lead star with CNN reporting that Spacey had made the work environment “toxic” through a patter of sexual harassment.
The former artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre would have been 26 at the time of the alleged incident, while Rapp would have been 14.
Following Rapp’s allegation in a BuzzFeed interview, Spacey said in a post on Twitter he did not remember the alleged incident and announced he is living as a gay man.
Spacey’s talent agency, CAA, is no longer representing the actor amid the growing claims of sexual harassment, according to Associated Press.
On Wednesday, Spacey’s representative said the actor was “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment” in light of the allegations.
His lawyers have been contacted for comment.