Man facing jail for unprotected child on motorbike

The case was heard at Glasgow Sheriff Court. Picture: John Devlin
The case was heard at Glasgow Sheriff Court. Picture: John Devlin
Share this article
Have your say

A MAN is facing jail after driving with a toddler on a motorbike that had no helmet or protective clothing on.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard Ross McLaughlin, 26, took the child from a house on Glasgow’s Keppochhill Road after speaking with the child’s mother.

McLaughlin - who has a number of road traffic convictions - drove a short distance with the child in front of him on the bike, without a helmet or protective clothing and without lights on the bike when it was dark.

He parked the bike nearby and took the three-year-old to McDonald’s then to the boy’s grandparents’ house where the police later found them.

McLaughlin, from Milton, Glasgow, pled guilty to driving with the three-year-old as an unsecured passenger, while the boy was not wearing a helmet or protective clothing and without lights when it was dark on March 6, this year.

He also admitted a charge of having no insurance.

The court heard McLaughlin barged in to the house after speaking with the boy’s mum and picked up the child.

Procurator fiscal depute Scot Dignan said the child’s mum ran to a nearby friend’s house while McLaughlin put the toddler on the motorbike and sat behind him.

A friend of the boy’s mum saw McLaughlin and tried to persuade him not to drive off with him.

Mr Dignon added: “The accused ignored that and rode off. The accused at that time appeared to not have great control of the bike.”

The court was told the police were contacted and later found McLaughlin and the three-year-old at the boy’s grandparent’s house.

McLaughlin was detained by police and later charged.

Sheriff Daniel Scullion was told no harm came to the child.

Defence lawyer Linda Findlay told the court McLaughlin initially intended on taking the child to where the boy’s mum was a short distance away.

She said: “He drove round the corner, secured it in a close and got a taxi to McDonald’s.”

Sheriff Scullion said: “This behaviour is so obviously idiotic and dangerous.”

Sentence was deferred until next month for reports.


Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Subscribe to our DAILY NEWSLETTER (requires registration)


iPhone | iPad | Android | Kindle