Man burnt by chip pan fat

A MAN suffered severe burns when he accidentally poured hot fat over his body after a fire broke out in a chip pan at his home in West Lothian.

The fire started in the pan within a flat on Glebe Road in Whitburn shortly after 6pm yesterday.

It is understood that the 35-year-old man tried to move the pan into the stairwell but the handle broke, causing him to spill hot chip fat over himself.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A small fire was extinguished prior to firefighters’ arrival.

The man was taken to St John’s Hospital by ambulance suffering from severe burns to his hands, legs and arms.

Eleven firefighters, two fire appliances and a fire investigation unit attended.