Kaya's mum: I'm taking my fight for justice to civil court

Share this article

THE mother of death crash survivor Kaya McInnes says she will launch civil action against the driver in her bid for justice.

Ronald Maclean's overtaking manoeuvre resulted in an A9 smash which killed two and severely injured Kaya, 14, but he escaped with a two-year ban and a 600 fine.

And despite outrage at the "lenient" sentence given to the 59-year-old, he said in yesterday's Evening News that he thought it was too harsh and he would appeal.

Maclean pleaded guilty to careless driving and a sheriff told him he was to blame for causing the horrific head-on collision.

Now Marchmont mum Leonora McInnes, 52, has announced her intention to launch a civil action against Maclean, who she accuses of "ruining my baby's life and the lives of two families". She said today: "This is the next step now, I will fight it all the way. It's not about money or compensation, it's about justice.

"Especially after what he said in the last few days, and the fact he has never apologised, he deserves to go to jail. The sheriff told him he was responsible for that crash and that he would have jailed him if he'd been on a different charge."

The Evening News revealed yesterday how Maclean, a delivery driver from Alness, said he felt he should only have been fined 60 and given three points on his licence and would appeal.

And he has never contacted the family to offer an apology, much to Ms McInnes' dismay.

She said: "This man doesn't care about the lives he's wrecked, he's only worried about getting his job back. He's not remorseful and he's not sorry."

As well as leaving Kaya needing 24-hour care and with the brain of a ten-year-old, the smash in April last year also killed her aunt Elizabeth Foley and family friend James McKinlay, from Gilmerton.

Inverness Sheriff Court heard how Maclean had been forced to pull in sharply when attempting to overtake, causing a camper van behind to brake sharply. The van skidded across the road and hit the car Kaya was travelling in.

Kaya lay in a coma and was on a life support machine after the crash. She suffered bleeding and swelling to her brain, a punctured lung, broken ribs and a fractured pelvis, and has since had to relearn how to walk and talk. In court last week, Sheriff Derek Pyle told Maclean – who lost his job – that he would have been jailed had he been charged with dangerous driving.

He said: "This is a tragic accident, but that would suggest that no-one was to blame. Someone was to blame. That is you, Mr Maclean."

The driver of the camper van, Richard McNicoll, 68, of Back Station Road, Linlithgow, also admitted careless driving, but was told by Sheriff Pyle that his blame was minimal.