Joss Stone: Police told me of “murder plot”

Joss Stone, performing on the main stage at T in the Park
Joss Stone, performing on the main stage at T in the Park
Share this article
Have your say

International pop star Joss Stone has told a court that she was only aware of an alleged plot to kill her when she was visited by the police.

The 25-year-old was giving evidence in the trial of Kevin Liverpool and Junior Bradshaw, who are charged with plotting to rob and kill the singer in June 2011.

Exeter Crown Court heard that the pair were arrested a few miles from Miss Stone’s home near Ashill, mid-Devon, with an arsenal of weapons - including a samurai sword - in the boot of their Fiat Punto.

Miss Stone was at home at the time but said she was only aware of the incident when police contacted her later that day.

She told the court yesterday: “Apart from someone (police) coming around to say someone is trying to kill me, it was a really nice day.

Speaking about the lack of security at her home, she said: “I’ve lived in Devon for a long time and nobody really shuts their door.”

Describing the security arrangements at her home at the time of the alleged plot, Miss Stone - who said she was happy to be referred to in court by her real name, Jocelyn Stoker - said: “I had an alarm but I did not really turn it on very much.

“I didn’t really have a lock on my door... But I do now.”

She also agreed that the property, accessed by narrow lanes in a rural part of mid-Devon, was an “open house” for family, friends and her then-boyfriend.

Wearing a white blouse and a black skirt, the singer said: “At the time I had a gate. To get in, they (visitors) would just open the gate, drive in with their car, get up to another (wooden) gate, shut the gate hopefully so the dogs don’t get out, then say hello.”

The court heard that the two defendants were arrested at around 9am on 13 June 2011.

Asked by Philip King QC, representing Liverpool, about what happened when police arrived at her home, Miss Stone said: “That was strange - it was a surprise.”