Hillsborough police match commander David Duckenfield is to face trial for the manslaughter by gross negligence of 95 Liverpool supporters after a judge lifted a stay on his prosecution.
Four other defendants charged with matters related to the disaster and its aftermath will also face trial following abuse of process arguments, which were heard at Preston Crown Court earlier this month.
Announcing his decision yesterday, judge Sir Peter Openshaw said: “In respect of the defendant, David Duckenfield, I lift the stay.”
About ten relatives of the 96 Liverpool fans who died at the FA Cup semi-final in 1989 were at Preston Crown Court to hear the ruling, while others watched proceedings on a video link In Liverpool.
Sir Peter said: “I confirm that I grant the voluntary bill of indictment to allow prosecution against him for manslaughter to proceed.”
Duckenfield, 73, faces 95 charges of gross negligence manslaughter following the crush in the terrace pens at the Leppings Lane end of Sheffield Wednesday’s at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest on April 15.
Under the law at the time, there can be no prosecution for the death of the 96th victim, Tony Bland, as he died more than a year and a day after his injuries were caused.
Duckenfield is now set go on trial in September at Preston Crown Court alongside former Sheffield Wednesday club secretary Graham Mackrell, 68, who is charged with an offence involving the stadium safety certificate and a health and safety offence.
The prosecution decided not to proceed with a second charge of breaching the stadium safety certificate against Mackrell.
Three other defendants – retired police officers Donald Denton, 80, and Alan Foster, 71, and retired solicitor Peter Metcalf, 68, who acted for South Yorkshire Police following the tragedy – are also now scheduled to go on trial in January 2019.
They are charged with doing acts intended to pervert the course of justice.