Heart attack victim tracks down stranger who gave first aid

A MAN who nearly died when he suffered a massive heart attack on a bus has paid tribute to one of the Good Samaritans who helped him in his hour of need.

John Logan, 57, suffered a heart attack while travelling on the number 35 bus at the Pleasance on October 15.

After the News published his wife Jeanette's appeal to hear from those who helped him, Trish McGarry, 39, came forward.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The occupational therapist from Easter Road said: "I saw this man who seemed to be in some distress, so I went over to see if I could help. It quickly became obvious that he was quite ill, and I tried to take his pulse but couldn't find one.

"I haven't done any first aid for years, so I asked other passengers if anyone there could help, and fortunately there was a woman who knew first aid.

"We put him in the recovery position on the floor of the bus while we waited for the ambulance to arrive, and I was holding his hand and telling him he would be OK, but I really did think he was dead.

"When the ambulance crew arrived, we got off to give them room. I was really quite upset, and I told a few friends about it, so when one of them rang me to tell me it was in the paper, and that the man was OK, I was thrilled."

Paramedics were on the scene within three minutes and gave Mr Logan emergency treatment before rushing him to hospital, where he underwent surgery and was put on a ventilator in intensive care.

But after several weeks in hospital, he is now back at home in Boswall Place, Pilton, and doctors expect him to make a full recovery. He is looking forward to meeting up with both Ms McGarry and the paramedics, without whom he wouldn't have lived to tell the tale.

Mr Logan said: "I really want to say thanks to Trish. I got a bit of a fright, actually. I just woke up in a hospital bed. I don't remember anything about it. The doctors are pleased with my progress. They said I'm lucky to be alive.

"I'm a bit sore, but I'm OK. I'm just tired and I'm forgetting a lot of stupid wee things, but the doctors say it takes about six weeks to get over that."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He expects to be away from his job as a cleaner at Edinburgh University for another two months – and has stopped smoking.

Mrs Logan, 50, added: "It was Trish that helped save his life. If she hadn't gone over and checked his pulse, he wouldn't be alive. We're really grateful. He's a very lucky man, and it's great having him back home."

A spokesman for the ambulance service said: "Her quick thinking will have made a difference. Particularly with cardiac cases, early intervention, even simple first aid, can make a significant difference to the patient's survival and recovery."