Half hour tailbacks as Queenferry Crossing reopens

The reopening of the Queensferry Crossing was hit by extensive delays today, with motorists facing half hour-long queues as traffic adjusted to the new road layout.

The Queensferry Crossing re-opened to traffic this morning. Picture: Lisa Ferguson

The new bridge opened in the early hours of this morning following several days of celebratory events.

However, traffic built up quickly, with southbound drivers facing delays up to 30 minutes, stretching back to junction 2, Pitreavie, on the M90 during the morning rush hour.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police were also called after several drivers were reported for using the bus lane on the £1.35bn bridge.

The crossing first opened to traffic on 30 August but was closed for celebrations between 1 September and 6 September with vehicles using the Forth Road Bridge.

Motorists were hit by delays on the opening day last week as sightseers flocked to drive over the structure, and transport chiefs said they expected a repeat of the problems.

Traffic Scotland operator manager Stein Connelly said: “Demand for using the Queensferry Crossing when it first opened last week was very high. People were understandably coming to see the new bridge and this did lead to congestion.

“If you are commuting, check Traffic Scotland on Twitter for the latest information before you leave and if you are coming to the area to visit the bridge, we would ask that you do so when traffic is lighter.

“We have seen tremendous levels of interest in the crossing and we really appreciate people’s patience as the new arrangements bed-in.”

Inspector Peter Houston of Police Scotland’s roads policing unit said: “We do expect there to be long delays as people come to see the new bridge over the coming days. We would advise members of the public who currently cross the Firth of Forth as part of their commute to think about disruptions to their journey and to allow for extra travel time as traffic levels adjust.”

The Queen officially opened the bridge on Monday, a high point in a series of events marking the opening of the structure - the longest three-tower, cable-stayed bridge in the world.

On Monday of last week, the 1.7-mile crossing was illuminated by a night-time light show to reflect the symbolic handover from contractors to the Scottish Government.

The first cars drove over the structure in the early hours of 30 August and it closed again on Friday to allow 50,000 people the ‘’once-in-a-lifetime’’ chance to walk over it at the weekend.

A 40mph speed limit will be in place on the approach roads and over the bridge.

The Forth Road Bridge will remain open to pedestrians and cyclists as work continues to make the final connections to the new network.

Later in the year the Queensferry Crossing will become a motorway and the Forth Road Bridge will become a public transport corridor.