Glasgow burst water main leaves 5m hole in road

Water supplies in the south of the city were interrupted last night. Picture: TSPL
Water supplies in the south of the city were interrupted last night. Picture: TSPL
Share this article
Have your say

RESIDENTS were evacuated from their homes in Glasgow’s southside last night after a burst water main caused localised flooding and created a five metre-wide hole in the middle of the road.

Residents and shopkeepers in buildings adjacent to the pipe on Bridge Street were evacuated as a precaution as emergency services dealt with the incident.

The water supply to properties in Glasgow’s southside were affected after the main burst at around 8pm last night, with loss of supply, low pressure and discoloured water.

The affected postcode areas were G4, G5, G41, G42, G43, G44 and G45 with Shawlands, Pollokshields, Mount Florida, Newlands and Battlefield among the areas experiencing problems.

Scottish Water sent engineers to the scene in Bridge Street and said that water supplies were restored to customers at around 11pm.

In a statement on its website, the company said: “A team was sent to Bridge Street at around 8pm to assist customers, isolate the section of burst mains and re-zone the network. As a result customer supplies were restored by around 11pm.

“As well as damage to the water mains, the road at Bridge Street has been affected and repairs will be carried out as soon as possible. There has also been some localised flooding.

“Scottish Water staff have been in the area helping customers during the night and will continue to be present to provide assistance.

“We would like to take this opportunity to apologise for the inconvenience caused and thank customers for their patience and understanding.”

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service crews also went to the scene, along with police, Glasgow city emergency planning officers and utility companies.

Roads were closed while the incident was dealt with.

Fire service spokesman Ian Burns said: “This is an excellent example of inter-agency working to help resolve a challenging situation and restore normality as quickly as possible.”

Residents were allowed back into their properties at around 1.30am.