Funeral held for ecstasy victim Regane MacColl

The funeral of Clydebank teenager Regane MacColl. Picture: HeMedia
The funeral of Clydebank teenager Regane MacColl. Picture: HeMedia
Share this article
Have your say

MORE than 500 mourners gathered today to bid a tearful farewell to tragic ecstasy teen Regane MacColl.

Relatives and friends, many wearing red - the 17-year-old schoolgirl’s favourite colour - queued up in the rain outside tiny St Mary’s Church in Clydebank.

Regane MacColl. Picture: HeMedia

Regane MacColl. Picture: HeMedia

Floral tributes of red and white with the words “niece”, “sister” and “Regane” adorned her white coffin.

During the service, her heartbroken father Alastair spoke about his much-loved daughter.

A tribute on the order of service, with a picture of Regane as a youngster, summed up the sadness over her death.

It read: “We can no longer see you with our eyes, touch you with our hands but we will feel you in our hearts forever”

Picture: HeMedia

Picture: HeMedia

Below the picture, there was a line from pop star Rihanna’s hit ‘Diamonds’, which read: “Shine bright like a diamond”.

Family and friends comforted each other, arm in arm, as the coffin was gently placed inside the hearse.

Family members wore red ribbons.

Mourners lined the street outside as the hearse left to Regane’s final resting place, North Dalnottar Cemetery.

Picture: HeMedia

Picture: HeMedia

Following her death earlier this month, Police Scotland and health chiefs issued warnings about rogue ‘Mortal Kombat’ tablets being sold by ecstasy dealers.

The pills, which have a dragon stamped on them, were also linked to four other cases of people falling ill on the same weekend Regane died.

Regane had been on a night out with friends to the Arches nightclub in Glasgow city centre when she became ill.

She was rushed to Glasgow Royal Infirmary in the early hours of Sunday morning (February 2) where she passed away surrounded by her family.

Following the tragedy, bosses at The Arches decided to cancel their club nights for two weeks.

A statement on the venue’s Facebook page read: “Following the tragic death of Regane MacColl we have made the decision not to host any club events for two weeks, both as a mark of respect and to enable us to work closely with Police Scotland.

“Gigs and theatre events will go ahead as normal.”

On the same night Regane became ill, a second woman, believed to be a 19-year-old university student, was admitted to Glasgow Royal Infirmary, but later discharged.

A further three men, two aged 18 and one aged 26, were admitted to Crosshouse Hospital in Kilmarnock.

One 18-year-old was later transferred to Hairmyres Hospital.

Police Scotland have carried out a series of raids since the tragedy in a bid to seize more of the killer pills.

Officers in the west of Scotland have carried out three ecstasy seizures and arrested seven people since February 2, but said they are not currently being linked to the schoolgirl’s death.